BYU football: Cougars top Utes in fans, according to New York Times report
Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
But according to the New York Times, it's the Cougars who have bragging rights over Utah — twice as many — when it comes to a different college football tally.
The local scoreboard from the Times' study regarding the number of fans for each college football program: BYU 709,864, Utah 351,939. The NYT used a variety of factors to put a number on each of the 120 NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision school's fandom, including surveys, TV market analysis and revenue figures.
BYU ranked 43rd in the fan count, which is more than eight of the Pac-12 programs and higher than three Big 12 schools (Iowa State, Kansas State and Baylor).
Per this study, the Cougars also have more fans than 27 of the Automatic Qualifier schools in the BCS. With that in mind, the article's author, Nate Silver, surmised that "Brigham Young ... would be an attractive-enough addition for a conference like the Big 12."
Utah checked in at No. 67, 10th highest in its new league. Regarding the Utes and Colorado (56th, 494,873 fans), the Times' writer claimed the Pac-12 rookies "look tolerable — but their fan bases are likewise middling by national standards."
Utah State, meanwhile, has the FBS' second-least popular football program, with 65,129 supporters.
The five programs with the biggest followings include Ohio State (3.2 million), Michigan (2.9 million), Penn St. (2.6 million), Notre Dame (2.3 million) and Texas (2.3 million).
San Jose State, a WAC school that visits BYU on Oct. 8, is ranked last (120th) with 60,292 fans.
Stanford (69th, 344,356) and Washington State (75th, 284,718) are the lowest-ranked Pac-12 schools.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 45