Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
But according to the New York Times, it's the Cougars who have bragging rights over Utah — twice as many — when it comes to a different college football tally.
The local scoreboard from the Times' study regarding the number of fans for each college football program: BYU 709,864, Utah 351,939. The NYT used a variety of factors to put a number on each of the 120 NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision school's fandom, including surveys, TV market analysis and revenue figures.
BYU ranked 43rd in the fan count, which is more than eight of the Pac-12 programs and higher than three Big 12 schools (Iowa State, Kansas State and Baylor).
Per this study, the Cougars also have more fans than 27 of the Automatic Qualifier schools in the BCS. With that in mind, the article's author, Nate Silver, surmised that "Brigham Young ... would be an attractive-enough addition for a conference like the Big 12."
Utah checked in at No. 67, 10th highest in its new league. Regarding the Utes and Colorado (56th, 494,873 fans), the Times' writer claimed the Pac-12 rookies "look tolerable — but their fan bases are likewise middling by national standards."
Utah State, meanwhile, has the FBS' second-least popular football program, with 65,129 supporters.
The five programs with the biggest followings include Ohio State (3.2 million), Michigan (2.9 million), Penn St. (2.6 million), Notre Dame (2.3 million) and Texas (2.3 million).
San Jose State, a WAC school that visits BYU on Oct. 8, is ranked last (120th) with 60,292 fans.
Stanford (69th, 344,356) and Washington State (75th, 284,718) are the lowest-ranked Pac-12 schools.
- BYU football: Cougars must secure their own...
- Utah Jazz: Massive, state-of-the-art...
- Commentary: The 15 kings of BYU football, the...
- Dick Harmon: Bronco Mendenhall and Cecil O....
- University of Utah 'restructures' athletic...
- High School Football: Wasatch Mountain Air 7...
- Dick Harmon: Hope is a real thing for BYU...
- Basketball bonds: Gordon Hayward's father has...
- BYU football: Cougars must secure their... 96
- NBA fans attack 11-year-old's national... 36
- Phil Steele ranks USU 2nd-most... 26
- Teen's family apologizes to family of... 20
- Austin Collie's workout with San... 18
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Unprecedented... 18
- Trevor Reilly, Jake Murphy to represent... 14
- Brad Rock: USU coach Matt Wells has... 11