Merlin Olsen's family settles lawsuit
LOS ANGELES — The family of Hall of Fame football player and actor Merlin Olsen has settled a lawsuit with several asbestos companies that they say caused the rare form of cancer he contracted late in life.
Attorneys for Olsen's wife and three children filed a notice of settlement last week in Los Angeles without providing further details.
A Logan, Utah native and former Utah State University All-American, Olsen was a member of the Los Angeles Rams' "Fearsome Foursome" defensive line in the 1960s. He died in March 2010 after battling mesothelioma.
Olsen claimed the cancer of the lung lining was caused by exposure to asbestos products at construction sites he worked on as a youth. The settlement covers 10 companies that manufactured or used the products.
The former All-Pro defensive tackle later appeared in the TV series "Little House on the Prairie" and "Father Murphy" as well as in commercials and for many years as an NFL broadcaster.
Sooners' stoops gets new contract
TULSA, Okla. — Two days after winning one of the college football season's early marquee games, Bob Stoops was rewarded Monday with a new contract extension that could keep him as the coach of top-ranked Oklahoma through 2018 and pay him $34.5 million over the next seven years.
The deal calls for Stoops' paydays to grow over the years, topping out at $5.15 million in salary and bonuses over the final three years. He was already one of the highest-paid coaches in the country, making $30 million over the course of a previous seven-year deal approved in 2009.
Stoops' Sooners won 23-13 at fifth-ranked Florida State on Saturday night, moving his career record 100 games over .500 at 131-31.
UCLA hoops player gets suspension
LOS ANGELES — UCLA basketball senior guard Jerime Anderson has been suspended for the Bruins' season-opener on Nov. 11 after pleading guilty to two misdemeanor charges involving the theft of a laptop.
It was already announced that he would miss the Bruins' exhibition game against Cal State San Bernardino on Nov. 6.
—Deseret News staff and wire services
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43