Tom Smart, Deseret News
Bronco Mendenhall was blunt following BYU's 54-10 loss to Utah on Saturday, saying "we were out-coached, out-played and out-executed the entire game."
True, but one thing Ute coach Kyle Whittingham will never do is out-expound Mendenhall.
Whittingham leads the head-to-head series 4-3. But in terms of sheer coach-speak ("executing at a higher level," "manifest," and "invested" — not to mention "stripling warriors"), it's no contest.
In that department, the Bronkster is still on track for a championship.
Last Saturday's game marked the earliest meeting ever for Utah and BYU. The change left just one week for fans to annoy neighbors, embarrass family and delight the call-in shows.
Rivalry week was actually quite uneventful from a standpoint of looting, pillaging and rioting.
Unless, of course, you count the seven Ute takeaways.
In evaluating his team's condition, BYU offensive coordinator Brandon Doman said, "I think it was pretty clear that we can be pretty good."
Rock On would have to call a false start on that. Three touchdowns and 145 rushing yards in three games doesn't look good to him.
It looks like the Cougs need an amp of epinephrine and a defibrillator, stat!
A TRUE SENIOR
Alan Moore, a place-kicker for the Faulkner University Eagles, embraces No. 61.
Not because it's his number; it's his age.
Moore kicked at a junior college in his salad days, but joined the Army and went to Vietnam. Three kids and five grandkids later he resumed his football career. The oldest college football player in history, he booted a PAT in the Sept. 10 game against Ave Maria.
First, does he eat pizza and listen to Lil Wayne with his teammates?
Also, at that age, did he ever think of playing at BYU?
UP IN ARMS
Someone got curious about the tattoo Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler has on the inside of his left arm and took a snapshot as he celebrated after a game.
Turned out he's been inked with a grammatical error.
The tat says, "Live life to it's [sic] fullest."
Here's to playing football and living life without worrying about punctuation.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 51
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 48
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45