Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
PROVO — Tony Bergstrom tore a ligament in his right knee and watched the end of Utah's 54-10 over BYU in shorts and on crutches.
It wasn't enough, though, to keep him from enjoying the blowout victory.
"This is awesome. This is how we want to play. This is how we've wanted to play," Bergstrom said. "It was good to have our offense start going again, pick up that run game. John White just coming out and throwing down. It was great. Good game."
The senior right tackle, a team captain, said his knee was sore but he expected to be back on the field in a couple of weeks.
SEEING RED: The Utes sported red jerseys and red pants in the Rivalry Game as both teams wore their home uniforms, something the schools began to do last season in basketball.
"We both decided to wear our home jerseys just to try something different, unique and special," said Utah athletics director Chris Hill, who noted that he thought the Utes looked good wearing red against BYU blue. "It was just something we decided to do a while ago and followed through with it and the colors are distinctive enough that it doesn't matter."
EARLY MEETING: Before Saturday's kickoff, Hill acknowledged the first BYU-Utah game played earlier than November since 1968 was "really different."
Even so, some things remained the same.
"The rivalry is intense and both teams are going to play hard and all that," Hill said.
"To say it's not different," Hill added. "I would be less than honest."
As for the implications, he's taking a wait-and-see approach.
"This is new turf for all of us. It's new for Tom (Holmoe). It's new for me," Hill said. "We've got a national TV game (ESPN2), so we'll see."
EXTRA POINTS: White finished with 174 yards — the most for a Ute since Brandon Warfield netted 181 against Texas A&M in 2004 ... Tight end Dallin Rogers had a team-high four receptions ... Chaz Walker, Trevor Reilly and Quade Chappuis topped the Utes with five tackles apiece ... Utah's 481 yards of offense was the most allowed by BYU this season.
- Duke's Jabari Parker faces tough stay-or-go...
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak...
- BYU basketball: Cougars leery of facing...
- High school boys basketball: Bountiful...
- High school boys basketball: Pleasant Grove...
- Tournament central: 4A boys basketball live...
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks off...
- Tournament central: 5A boys championship live...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 83
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 56
- BYU baseball: BYU beats Utah, 20-3 46
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 42
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Former BYU quarterback John Beck signs... 22