Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
PROVO — Tony Bergstrom tore a ligament in his right knee and watched the end of Utah's 54-10 over BYU in shorts and on crutches.
It wasn't enough, though, to keep him from enjoying the blowout victory.
"This is awesome. This is how we want to play. This is how we've wanted to play," Bergstrom said. "It was good to have our offense start going again, pick up that run game. John White just coming out and throwing down. It was great. Good game."
The senior right tackle, a team captain, said his knee was sore but he expected to be back on the field in a couple of weeks.
SEEING RED: The Utes sported red jerseys and red pants in the Rivalry Game as both teams wore their home uniforms, something the schools began to do last season in basketball.
"We both decided to wear our home jerseys just to try something different, unique and special," said Utah athletics director Chris Hill, who noted that he thought the Utes looked good wearing red against BYU blue. "It was just something we decided to do a while ago and followed through with it and the colors are distinctive enough that it doesn't matter."
EARLY MEETING: Before Saturday's kickoff, Hill acknowledged the first BYU-Utah game played earlier than November since 1968 was "really different."
Even so, some things remained the same.
"The rivalry is intense and both teams are going to play hard and all that," Hill said.
"To say it's not different," Hill added. "I would be less than honest."
As for the implications, he's taking a wait-and-see approach.
"This is new turf for all of us. It's new for Tom (Holmoe). It's new for me," Hill said. "We've got a national TV game (ESPN2), so we'll see."
EXTRA POINTS: White finished with 174 yards — the most for a Ute since Brandon Warfield netted 181 against Texas A&M in 2004 ... Tight end Dallin Rogers had a team-high four receptions ... Chaz Walker, Trevor Reilly and Quade Chappuis topped the Utes with five tackles apiece ... Utah's 481 yards of offense was the most allowed by BYU this season.
- Cougars looking for special season with...
- Cougars football team undergoing reality...
- NFL cuts tracker: Former BYU wide receiver...
- BYU's Mendenhall on the cusp of embarking on...
- Amy Donaldson: Football has helped Ute...
- Utah football: The Michigan Wolverines in 6...
- Whittingham's second decade at the helm of...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 89
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 63
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 26
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap... 26
- High school football: Parry's Power... 23