Kobe still mulling playing abroad
SINGAPORE — Kobe Bryant says he's still considering playing overseas as an owners' lockout of players threatens to sabotage the upcoming NBA season.
The Los Angeles Lakers superstar told The Associated Press on the sidelines of a youth basketball clinic in Singapore on Saturday that he didn't know if there will be a 2011-12 season and hasn't ruled out playing abroad.
Bryant said he may join informal workouts with Lakers teammates in the future, but that no such sessions have been scheduled yet.
Turkish club Besiktas said in July it was in talks with Bryant's representatives about possibly playing for the team. Other NBA players have already committed to playing next season in leagues in China, Turkey and Lithuania.
Hall of Famer Dave Gavitt dies at 73
Dave Gavitt, one of basketball's most influential leaders the last three decades, has died at 73.
His death Friday night after a long illness was confirmed by his family Saturday. He died in a hospital near his hometown of Rumford, R.I.
Gavitt was a member of the Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame and the first commissioner of the Big East Conference. He led Providence to the Final Four in 1973 and started the Big East offices there in 1979.
He was selected to coach the U.S. Olympic team in 1980, but the United States boycotted the Moscow Games. Gavitt was president of USA Basketball and oversaw the introduction of NBA players onto the U.S. Olympic roster, including the Dream Team at the 1992 Games.
He also was chairman of the Basketball Hall of Fame, where he was inducted in 2006.
Pacquiao's home burglarized; 4 arrested
LOS ANGELES — Authorities say the Los Angeles home of boxer Manny Pacquiao was burglarized and four people were arrested.
Sheriff's Capt. Mike Parker said Saturday that no one was home during the burglary.
Pacquaio's attorney Franklin Gacal says the fighter is in the Philippines preparing for a Nov. 12 fight against Juan Manuel Marquez.
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for Foul-A-Frenchie...
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the road...
- Mike Sorensen: Manning's storybook ending...
- Oregon overpowers Utes for 76-66 victory
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to Pacific,...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 102
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 64
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 26
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22