Kobe still mulling playing abroad
SINGAPORE — Kobe Bryant says he's still considering playing overseas as an owners' lockout of players threatens to sabotage the upcoming NBA season.
The Los Angeles Lakers superstar told The Associated Press on the sidelines of a youth basketball clinic in Singapore on Saturday that he didn't know if there will be a 2011-12 season and hasn't ruled out playing abroad.
Bryant said he may join informal workouts with Lakers teammates in the future, but that no such sessions have been scheduled yet.
Turkish club Besiktas said in July it was in talks with Bryant's representatives about possibly playing for the team. Other NBA players have already committed to playing next season in leagues in China, Turkey and Lithuania.
Hall of Famer Dave Gavitt dies at 73
Dave Gavitt, one of basketball's most influential leaders the last three decades, has died at 73.
His death Friday night after a long illness was confirmed by his family Saturday. He died in a hospital near his hometown of Rumford, R.I.
Gavitt was a member of the Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame and the first commissioner of the Big East Conference. He led Providence to the Final Four in 1973 and started the Big East offices there in 1979.
He was selected to coach the U.S. Olympic team in 1980, but the United States boycotted the Moscow Games. Gavitt was president of USA Basketball and oversaw the introduction of NBA players onto the U.S. Olympic roster, including the Dream Team at the 1992 Games.
He also was chairman of the Basketball Hall of Fame, where he was inducted in 2006.
Pacquiao's home burglarized; 4 arrested
LOS ANGELES — Authorities say the Los Angeles home of boxer Manny Pacquiao was burglarized and four people were arrested.
Sheriff's Capt. Mike Parker said Saturday that no one was home during the burglary.
Pacquaio's attorney Franklin Gacal says the fighter is in the Philippines preparing for a Nov. 12 fight against Juan Manuel Marquez.
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big part...
- BYU confirms Jim McMahon will be inducted...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- Jim McMahon: 37 years later, former BYU star...
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 136
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 99
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48