BYU, Utah Utes football: Utes pull off shocking 54-10 rout
Utah turned the ball over again when Wynn threw an interception to Kyle Van Noy. But after the Cougar offense punted back to Utah, the Utes mounted a 63-yard drive, capped by a 30-yard touchdown pass from Wynn to tight end Jake Murphy with 32 seconds remaining in the first half. Murphy, the son of former Major League Baseball great Dale Murphy, originally signed with BYU before going on a mission and transferring to Utah.
The Utes took a 14-10 advantage into the locker room at halftime.
Utah increased its lead on its first possession of the second half. On third-and-6 from the Ute 41-yard line, Wynn threw a floater pass across the field intended for wide receiver Dres Anderson. BYU cornerback Corby Eason jumped up in an attempt to intercept the ball, but it cleared Eason's fingertips and landed in the hands of Anderson, who turned upfield, broke an attempted tackle by Uale, and scored a 59-yard touchdown, lifting the Utes to a 21-10 advantage.
After Utah's defense forced BYU to punt, Petersen drilled a 39-yard field goal to make the score 24-10 midway through the third quarter.
Just when it appeared things couldn't get worse for the Cougars, they did. On the ensuing kickoff, JD Falslev fumbled and Utah recovered at the BYU 3-yard line. Two plays later, John White punched it into the end zone and the rout was on, 30-10.
Near the end of the third quarter, Heaps fumbled again and the Utes recovered once again, leading to a Utah field goal, 33-10.
White scored on a pair of long runs in the fourth quarter to put the Utes up, 47-10. For good measure, Utah added another late TD on a fumble return on a sack of backup BYU quarterback Riley Nelson.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 63
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 24
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 21