High school football: Hurricane Tigers blow by Dixie Flyers, 51-21
ST. GEORGE —?The weather at Dixie High School was mild in spite of the game-time wild weather warnings for surrounding regions in Southern Utah.
But this game was on ice early, as Hurricane blew past Dixie, 51-21, in a Region 9 matchup of undefeated teams amidst Dixie High's homecoming ceremony Friday night at Walt Brooks Stadium.
On the relatively calm playing field, the weather didn't prove to be much of a factor.
With tornado warnings being given in St. George, the Tigers created their own ground-level storm, including seven touchdowns, on more than 450 rushing yards.
Though Dixie's Blake Barney passed for almost 300 yards, including three touchdowns, a couple of interceptions and fumbles led to Hurricane scores which kept the Tigers comfortably ahead throughout the game.
"We made Barney make decisions he didn't want to," said Hurricane coach Chris Homer. "We brought people up, left people back, and made good decisions. But I know we can always get better."
Hurricane scored early when Kellen Seely recovered a fumble in the end zone and Ethan Stratton connected on the extra point. But Dixie responded on the next play with an 80-yard reception for a touchdown from Barney to Justin Cummings. After the extra point by Austin Barker, it was 7-7 at the eight-minute mark of the first quarter, but that was the last light for the Flyers. After touchdown runs by Weston Yardley of 23 and 7 yards, and scores by Brian Scott (7 yards) and Jared Edwards (3 yards) Hurricane enjoyed a 35-7 halftime lead.
Scott's 56-yard scramble on the first play of the second half appeared to seal the deal, but Dixie held on defense and Barney immediately connected to Cummings again for a 70-yard score and a breath of hope, 35-14.
But with 7:35 remaining in the third quarter, Hurricane's Adam Thompson charged for a 42-yard score. The Tigers were not finished, as Stratton soon added a field goal, and Hurricane again rushed for a score.
Dixie's Kyle Hansen pulled down a 10-yard reception for a score late in the game.
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- The Cougars and their coach's ’stache...
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Jimmer & Jimbo: As one pursues a steady role,...
- Presto! Utah Jazz pull a magical 2nd win out...
- Brad Rock: Utes now look at bowl pairing from...
- After last year's bowl loss, BYU seniors...
- Rudy Gobert's fast break impressed and amused...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 69
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 60
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31