High school football: Late TD lifts Davis Darts over Syracuse Titans
Darts cap 73-yard drive by scoring with 6 seconds left
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SYRACUSE — Six was the magic number for the Davis Darts on Friday night in their Region 1 opener against Syracuse. Davis' No. 6 Mark Christiansen scored the go-ahead six with 6.2 seconds left to give Davis a thrilling 14-10 victory at Syracuse.
"The line opened a huge hole and I just hit it," Christiansen said.
Christiansen's score capped a 14-play, 73-yard drive that began with 4:20 left in the fourth. The game winning drive, which nearly stalled at the Syracuse 34 after the Titan defense stuffed Christiansen and Davis on fourth-and-short, was revived by a facemask penalty on Syracuse. The penalty gave the Darts new life and the ball inside the 20.
Dart quarterback Tyson Denney then hit Karter Chisholm to move the ball to the Syracuse eight-yard line. With no timeouts and Davis in hurry-up mode, the Darts continued to pound the ball, electing to give the ball to Christiansen who carried it to the goal line. And with the clock ticking, the poised Davis offense punched in the go ahead score with just seconds remaining.
"What a region opener," said an elated Davis coach Ryan Bishop.
After a scoreless first quarter, Syracuse struck first on 30-yard field goal by Brock Anderson at the 7:30 mark in the second.
Davis went ahead later in the quarter on a 38-yard touchdown pass from Denney to BYU commit Troy Hinds. The taller Hinds outleaped the shorter Syracuse defender in the end zone to reel in the score.
Mo'o's score gave capped a 13-play, 77-yard drive.
In a game that saw Davis dominate offensively, it was the Syracuse defense that didn't break, keeping the score close. Davis' Denney threw for 272 yards and Christiansen rushed for 99 yards, but the Titans kept the game close, coming up with big plays on several Davis drives.
In the end, Davis was too much for Syracuse, sending the Titan nation home disappointed.
Bishop was pleased with how his team stuck it out until the end.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 91
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 76
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 50
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 36