Fiesta Mexicana fetes Mexico's independence in the melting pot of the Utah State Fair
"One of the things the community in general needs to know and understand is that we value the same things they do. We value our families. We value this state as well. We value what it does and how it's helped us," Enriquez said.
It is especially important that this message is communicated by youths to other youths, said Enriquez.
"That's our future," Enriquez said.
Fiesta Mexicana Utah
Utah State Fairpark, 155 N. 1000 West
11 a.m. - 9 p.m. Children's Activity Area
Maya & Miguel photo opportunities every hour on the half hour
Mexican face masks sponsored by the Utah Museum of Fine Arts
Mexican flowers, maracas and masks sponsored by KUED/V-Me
Clowns and balloon animals
University of Utah Women's Basketball Team, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
11 a.m. Welcome to Fiesta Mexicana
Opening remarks by Andy Acosta, La Jefa 1490 and Gladys Chavez, Telemundo
Welcome by Jesse Soriano, president of Fiesta Mexicana
11:30 a.m. Mariachi Juvenil
Noon Latinos in Action
12:30 p.m. Telemundo cash machine
1 p.m. Los Gitanos
2 p.m. Danza Nahui Ehacati
2:30 p.m. Telemundo cash machine
3:30 p.m. Ruben Hofer
4 p.m. Re-Encuentro Norteno
5 p.m. Los Alia2 - Live Mexican regional music
6 p.m. Jorge Alfredo Cervantes
7 p.m. Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera look-alike contest by Viva Frida
7:15 p.m. Introduction and recognition of local and state officials
Color Guard presented by the U.S. Army; United State national anthem by Mary Madrigal
7:30 p.m. Official ceremony of "El Grito."
Special recognition of State of Guanajuato presented by the board of directors of Fiesta Mexicana
Introduction of Consul de Mexico, Socorro Rovirosa
"El Grito" of Mexican Independence by Rovirosa
Mexican National Anthem by Yunuen Carrillo and other traditional Mexican songs
8 p.m. Banda Calibre
9 p.m. Grupo Desafio
10 p.m. Event closes
Editor's note: The Deseret News and El Observador de Utah are among the sponsors of Fiesta Mexicana.
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Women innovators leading by example
- Pleasant Grove homeowner shoot, kills man in...
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- Report highlights earth-shattering increases...
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 33
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 15
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 13
- Jury convicts San Juan County... 11
- Attorney: Woman on trial in deputy's... 10
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps... 9