Utah Utes football notebook: Contract in the works to allow rivalry's continuation
SALT LAKE CITY — While much has been said about the future of the Rivalry Game, there are plans to extend the BYU-Utah football series beyond the 2012 game at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
"We've talked about some dates for the two following years and right now we're trying to work on a contract," said Utah athletics director Chris Hill.
At the Pac-12 football meetings in July, conference commissioner Larry Scott expressed hope that the Utes and independent Cougars would continue their rivalry.
"Absolutely. Rivalries are a great thing and I'm sure it'll be great for the fans to see them play," he said. "So I do hope they work it out."
Under Pac-12 rules, however, all future Utah-BYU games will have to be played before the conference season gets started.
To be "even-handed" with all the schools in the league, Scott doesn't anticipate any exceptions will ever be made to move the game to a later date.
"I don't think we would because we've got a policy that's really got to apply across the board, that future out-of-conference games are going to be in the beginning of the season," Scott said. "We agreed to a policy that going forward that's the time period within which we're going to schedule out-of-conference games."
WHATEVER IT TAKES: Utah's running game exceeded the pass against Montana State, but things were just the opposite against USC.
"Sometimes that's just how it works. You've got to be ready for whatever it takes to win," said quarterback Jordan Wynn. "In a perfect world you'd like to run and pass the ball well every game but it's not always going to work like that."
So, any idea how things will go against BYU?
"Every game you've got to be able to do both," Wynn said. "But, like I've said, whatever it takes. Whether we've got to run the ball or throw the ball a little more — one or the other — then that's what we have to do."
EXTRA POINTS: For the first time since 2005, neither team in the Rivalry Game is ranked by the Associated Press. … According to Utah's records (which include games against BY Academy), the series is knotted at 17-17-1 in Provo. … BYU hasn't lost at home to an in-state foe since falling to Utah 41-34 in overtime in 2005.
Dirk Facer is the Ute insider for ESPN 700AM. He can be heard each week on "The Bill and Spence Show" and "Utah Football Pregame Show."
Email: email@example.com Twitter: @DirkFacer
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass, Cougars'...
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much money...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- Power rankings: Pac-12, WCC, MWC men's...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Breaking down UMass, BYU basketball's next...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 190
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 96
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 59
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50