Utah Utes football notebook: Contract in the works to allow rivalry's continuation
SALT LAKE CITY — While much has been said about the future of the Rivalry Game, there are plans to extend the BYU-Utah football series beyond the 2012 game at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
"We've talked about some dates for the two following years and right now we're trying to work on a contract," said Utah athletics director Chris Hill.
At the Pac-12 football meetings in July, conference commissioner Larry Scott expressed hope that the Utes and independent Cougars would continue their rivalry.
"Absolutely. Rivalries are a great thing and I'm sure it'll be great for the fans to see them play," he said. "So I do hope they work it out."
Under Pac-12 rules, however, all future Utah-BYU games will have to be played before the conference season gets started.
To be "even-handed" with all the schools in the league, Scott doesn't anticipate any exceptions will ever be made to move the game to a later date.
"I don't think we would because we've got a policy that's really got to apply across the board, that future out-of-conference games are going to be in the beginning of the season," Scott said. "We agreed to a policy that going forward that's the time period within which we're going to schedule out-of-conference games."
WHATEVER IT TAKES: Utah's running game exceeded the pass against Montana State, but things were just the opposite against USC.
"Sometimes that's just how it works. You've got to be ready for whatever it takes to win," said quarterback Jordan Wynn. "In a perfect world you'd like to run and pass the ball well every game but it's not always going to work like that."
So, any idea how things will go against BYU?
"Every game you've got to be able to do both," Wynn said. "But, like I've said, whatever it takes. Whether we've got to run the ball or throw the ball a little more — one or the other — then that's what we have to do."
EXTRA POINTS: For the first time since 2005, neither team in the Rivalry Game is ranked by the Associated Press. … According to Utah's records (which include games against BY Academy), the series is knotted at 17-17-1 in Provo. … BYU hasn't lost at home to an in-state foe since falling to Utah 41-34 in overtime in 2005.
Dirk Facer is the Ute insider for ESPN 700AM. He can be heard each week on "The Bill and Spence Show" and "Utah Football Pregame Show."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @DirkFacer
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 81
- Going the distance: BYU, Big 12 aren't... 62
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion probable... 54
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 35
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 28
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27
- Utah baseball team surprisingly leads... 20