Utah Utes football notebook: Jordan Wynn has orchestrated late drives vs. Cougars
Mike Terry, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — During his tenure as Utah's starting quarterback, Jordan Wynn has directed the Utes to six fourth-quarter scoring drives against BYU. He had three in last year's 17-16 win at Rice-Eccles Stadium and three in the 26-23 overtime loss in Provo in 2009.
In both instances, Wynn brought Utah back from deficits after three quarters. The Cougars held a 13-0 advantage last season and a 20-6 edge the previous year.
"I think it's just a sense of the rivalry and you just really don't want to lose," Wynn said. "When the fourth quarter comes it's do-or-die time, so I think our guys just kind of take it upon themselves to step up."
EVEN PLAYING FIELD: The last few BYU-Utah games in Provo have been divided equally on a couple of fronts. Both the Cougars and Utes have prevailed three times since 1999 and the overall score in the last five meetings is 118-118.
"It should be every bit as intense and competitive as it's been," said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham, who is 3-3 in career meetings against BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall.
STANDING TALL: Utah sophomore Joe Kruger, a 6-foot-7, 270-pound starter at defensive end, has eight tackles (six solo) through two games.
"We spoke very highly of Joe during the spring and in the preseason and he is living up to that billing. His upside is tremendous and he hasn't even scratched the surface of his abilities," Whittingham said. "He's just so gifted and rangy and athletic. He's been a very good player for us and we need him to continue on that upward plane and continue to be a force."
FRIENDLY WAGER: For the fourth straight year, Salt Lake Chamber president Lane Beattie and Utah Valley Chamber president Steve Densley have placed a wager on the Rivalry Game. If the Utes win, a Utah flag will fly over the Utah Valley Chamber. Should the Cougars prevail, a BYU flag will fly over the Salt Lake Chamber.
"We're a very united community but we take one weekend off each fall to cheer for our team," Beattie said in a released statement. "With a year of bragging rights on the line, both teams know there's more on the line than just a victory. We're looking forward to seeing a Utes flag fly in Utah County."
EXTRA POINTS: The ESPN2 broadcast team will consist of Mark Jones, Ed Cunningham and Jessica Mendoza.… Utah's Oct. 1 game against Washington will be homecoming. A schedule of activities can be found at: www.alumni.utah.edu/homecoming. … Utah linebacker Chaz Walker is tied for the Pac-12 lead with 10.5 tackles per game, while cornerback Ryan Lacy shares the conference's top spot in passes defended with four.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @DirkFacer
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Hodgson leaves job on humiliating night for...
- Lindros' wait over as he headlines Hockey...
- Pat Summitt, winningest coach in D1 history,...
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 66
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 24
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 22