BYU, Utah Utes football: A lot of gray mixed with blue and red
Scalley doesn't believe it's a big deal to have such a disparity with a lot of older players. "It always has been that way when Utah plays BYU," he said.
Bergstrom for one, believes there is an advantage to being older and playing against younger players
"I think my body has had a good time to develop being an older guy doing the two-year mission thing," he says. "I came home in pretty good shape and had a good chance for my body to develop. I think guys when they're older are able to come in and play right off the bat. I was able to do that. And your mind is much more developed."
While Whittingham and Mendenhall may not believe there is much physical advantage to older players, they do agree with Nutt on the maturity factor.
"They bring a maturity to your team," Whittingham said. "Older guys are usually pretty low maintenance as far as understanding the importance of going to class and many are married — we have about a dozen married players — which also has a grounding effect on the players. They see the big picture a lot better."
"You have young men who are more mature, more conscientious, with better leadership skills and are more driven," said Mendenhall. "And that to me is a tremendous advantage, if you can do all the other parts correctly."
Bergstrom points out that last year when Utah and BYU played it was "the most returned missionaries on the field in the history of college football."
That record may be broken Saturday, and as usual, it will be the oldest guys in the country doing battle.
"It's nice," Bergstrom says. "We're going to go down there and I'm not going to be the only old one on the field."
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best Pac-12...
- BYU-Utah State: How to watch, listen to or...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- BYU's bowl destination — Las Vegas or...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 60
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 52
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 32
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's... 29
- Doug Robinson: Colorado-Utah: In the... 23