BYU, Utah Utes football: A lot of gray mixed with blue and red
Scalley doesn't believe it's a big deal to have such a disparity with a lot of older players. "It always has been that way when Utah plays BYU," he said.
Bergstrom for one, believes there is an advantage to being older and playing against younger players
"I think my body has had a good time to develop being an older guy doing the two-year mission thing," he says. "I came home in pretty good shape and had a good chance for my body to develop. I think guys when they're older are able to come in and play right off the bat. I was able to do that. And your mind is much more developed."
While Whittingham and Mendenhall may not believe there is much physical advantage to older players, they do agree with Nutt on the maturity factor.
"They bring a maturity to your team," Whittingham said. "Older guys are usually pretty low maintenance as far as understanding the importance of going to class and many are married — we have about a dozen married players — which also has a grounding effect on the players. They see the big picture a lot better."
"You have young men who are more mature, more conscientious, with better leadership skills and are more driven," said Mendenhall. "And that to me is a tremendous advantage, if you can do all the other parts correctly."
Bergstrom points out that last year when Utah and BYU played it was "the most returned missionaries on the field in the history of college football."
That record may be broken Saturday, and as usual, it will be the oldest guys in the country doing battle.
"It's nice," Bergstrom says. "We're going to go down there and I'm not going to be the only old one on the field."
- Morning links: Former BYU player Paul Lasike...
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs and...
- Back from injury, BYU QB Taysom Hill wants...
- Utes football fan raising money to put 'Utah'...
- Dante Exum returning to Utah after injuring...
- High school football: Alta Hawks 2015 preview
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 30
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 24
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 17
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs... 17
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other... 16