Keith Johnson, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The deadline to apply to be a Church History Museum volunteer guide is Oct. 21.
Museum guides, also called docents, give presentations about the museum's exhibits and provide general information and guest services to visitors. Applicants must be members of the church and willing to make a three-year commitment to the museum. After applying, interviews and selections, training classes are weekly from January to May 2012.
Classes will include orientation sessions on church history, LDS art, the museum's exhibits, informal gallery guiding, basic guest services, and tour teaching techniques and programs.
"Our museum guides provide numerous services for our visitors and they do a wonderful job," said Museum Director, Kurt Graham. "We currently have over 250 volunteers and are looking for more!"
Those accepted will receive callings as part-time church service missionaries. Church History Museum guides serve four to six hours a week and are assigned a regular morning, afternoon, or evening shift Monday through Saturday based on availability. Saturday docents serve every other week.
"Many of our evening and Saturday docents have full time jobs. They are very dedicated people who love serving in the museum," said Nancy Andersen, the museum's docent coordinator.
Application information is available by calling 801-240-9573.
- Letters to family show Steven Powell still...
- 'Tattooed Mormon' Al Fox shares her...
- Wright Words: Oklahoma tornado provides...
- Tornado relief spurs LDS Church, Layton's...
- USA Today takes note of LDS sister missionaries
- Public invited to funeral services for Sister...
- Defending the Faith: A case for the...
- Canadian Mormon missionaries remember Sister...
- 'Tattooed Mormon' Al Fox shares her... 34
- Muslim leaders in U.S. facing... 25
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 23
- Wright Words: Oklahoma tornado provides... 23
- Secretary of State John Kerry says... 22
- Supreme Court to weigh in on... 17
- Hundreds of teens in Southern... 12
- Letters to family show Steven Powell... 11