UTAH (1-1) at BYU (1-1)
LAVELL EDWARDS STADIUM
Saturday, 7:15 p.m.
UTAH STATE 1-1
BYE THIS WEEK
Next game: vs. Colorado State,Sept. 24, 6 p.m
WEBER STATE (0-2) AT SACRAMENTO STATE (1-1)
Saturday, 6 p.m.
Radio: 1280 AM, 97.5 FM
All-time series: Weber State leads 10-5
About the Hornets: They have been in the news for beating Oregon State in Week 1, only to get thumped by SUU in Week 2. Sacramento State is 0-8 in Ogden.
SUU (1-1) at TEXAS SAN ANTONIO (1-1)
Saturday, 6 p.m.
Radio: 91.1 FM
All-time series: First meeting
About the Roadrunners: The WAC-members-to-be are led by former Miami coach Larry Coker, who is in his first season. UTSA lost to McMurry 24-21 last week.
DIXIE STATE 0-2
This week: vs. Simon Fraser
Kickoff: 6 p.m. Saturday
Update: Last week, QB Cody Stevenson threw for six TDs — but 3 were interception returns.
SNOW COLLEGE 2-0
This week: at Pima (Ariz.) Col.
Kickoff: 7 p.m. Saturday
Update: WR Damond Powell caught four passes for 131 yards and two touchdowns last week.
Pac-12 all about the air attack
Mike Stoops has a lot of things to think about these days — his Arizona football team is in the middle of an Oklahoma State-Stanford-Oregon-USC sausage-grinder — but he's still pretty sharp with his statistics.
"We're completing 76 percent of our throws," he said with a sigh Tuesday on the Pac-12 coaches conference call, "and teams are completing 78 percent of theirs against us."
He was right on both counts. There are some arresting numbers being put up by quarterbacks, not only in the Pac-12 but elsewhere. Six quarterbacks in the league — Nick Foles, Marshall Lobbestael, Brock Osweiler, Matt Barkley, Keith Price and Andrew Luck — are completing 68 percent or better.
Sec teams are getting offensive, too
Some Southeastern Conference teams are leaving defense behind in their rush for more points.
The SEC once was known for its run-first attacks and strong defenses, but now more teams are implementing up-tempo, spread and no-huddle schemes designed to give offenses as many scoring opportunities as possible.
Some early developments are startling:
Seven SEC teams are averaging 40 or more points per game.
Arkansas has scored 103 points, the Razorbacks' highest total through two games since 1911.
Six players in the Auburn-Mississippi State game had more than 100 all-purpose yards.
The 87 combined points in South Carolina's 45-42 win over Georgia were the most in the history of the series.
Auburn coach Gene Chizik said schemes had undergone dramatic changes in the last decade as coordinators scrambled to stay ahead or just keep up.
—Deseret News wire reports
- Football legend Brett Favre drops in on Alta...
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of BYU,...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame like...
- BYU assistant football coach is also Bishop...
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should hear...
- Deseret News previews of all 103 varsity...
- BYU football: Cougars agree to home-and-home...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 140
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 105
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 88
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 75
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 45
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 44
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of... 25
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame... 24