Says Steve Young, "She did not sound like she was joking. Gratefully, our relationship has thrived despite our red and blue blood. We keep the rivalry fun."
Maybe the Steve Youngs have much in common — wives' names, profession, sport, religion, etc. — but similarities end with school loyalties. "I'm a Ute through and through," says Steve Young(er). His father played baseball at BYU and most of his six siblings and sisters went to BYU, as did his wife and most of her six siblings. Doesn't matter. He's a Ute.
Steve Young met his famous namesake at a fireside while he was playing football at what was then called Ricks College (now BYU-Idaho.) They were introduced by a mutual acquaintance.
"Oh, I've heard about you, an up-and-coming quarterback," the NFL quarterback told him.
Several years later, Steve Young was using his credit card to pay a restaurant bill when the cashier told him that the other (more famous) Steve Young was there, too. He reintroduced himself, or thought he was.
"That's funny," the famous Steve Young said, "I've never met another Steve Young in my whole life."
"I blame it on the concussions," says Steve Young.
He also once met Ty Detmer and was surprised at the resemblance. "It was like looking in a mirror," he says.
As for the confusion with STEVE YOUNG, Steve Young says, "I like it. It leads to a lot of great conversations about football. People assume I'm a good guy and athletic. I often distinguish myself as the red-blooded and right-handed Steve Young."
And a good thing, too. About 10 years ago, Steve Young underwent brain surgery to remove a benign tumor. It cost him the use of his left arm. "When people ask how I'm doing, I say 'I'm all right.' "
Inspired by his name identity and another former kicker, Congressman Jason Chaffetz, Steve Young has considered politics.
"I can't beat the name recognition," he says. "Steve Young is universally well regarded. People (and not just Mormons or Utahns) typically presume I am as upstanding and articulate as he is unless I somehow rebut their presumption. The name has been a real positive."
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of NFL...
- Niumatalolo and Navy make another trip to the...
- No home games for 7 weeks? RSL explains why a...
- Booker, other locals could get NFL draft...
- Guest commentary: BYU football and basketball...
- Decades later, Thurl Bailey and N.C. State...
- Aggie linebackers stick together in third...
- Morning links: Which local prospects could...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 91
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 49
- BYU's Kaufusi an intriguing NFL... 26
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 18
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 15
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14
- BYU football announces full spring... 12