Perry has led in several recent national polls, most recently earning 30 percent to Romney's 18 percent in a CNN survey taken from Sept. 9-11. National polling, however, is far less significant than voter sentiment in the early voting states like Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina, which will help shape the race early next year. There is scant polling so far in those states.
Romney will get some help in trying to tear down Perry.
Romney may have already benefited from attacks by Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann and Texas Rep. Ron Paul, who have been strong Perry critics all along.
On Monday, they lashed out at Perry from the right, criticizing his positions on immigration, taxes and public health.
"Our taxes have doubled since he's been in office. Our spending has gone up double. Our debt has gone up nearly triple," Paul said of Perry's decade as governor. "So I would put a little damper on this, but I don't want to offend the governor, because he might raise my taxes or something."
Bachmann went after Perry for trying to require vaccinations on 11- and 12-year old girls to prevent a sexually transmitted disease that causes cervical cancer.
"To have innocent little 12-year-old girls be forced to have a government injection through an executive order is just flat out wrong," Bachmann said. "That should never be done. It's a violation of a liberty interest."
Perry defended his record the best he could, acknowledging a mistake by bypassing the state legislature to force the vaccines and highlighting job growth in Texas under his watch.
In the coming months, look to Romney to ensure Perry doesn't get off easy.
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Switched at birth, man raised in poverty...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining challenge
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Research: Native American genes have Eurasian...
- Newtown releases 911 calls showing anguish...
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh light on...
- Actor Paul Walker dies in car crash; was...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 85
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 46
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 33
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 22
- Obama declares health care law is... 20
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy 18
- Research: Native American genes have... 18