Perry has led in several recent national polls, most recently earning 30 percent to Romney's 18 percent in a CNN survey taken from Sept. 9-11. National polling, however, is far less significant than voter sentiment in the early voting states like Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina, which will help shape the race early next year. There is scant polling so far in those states.
Romney will get some help in trying to tear down Perry.
Romney may have already benefited from attacks by Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann and Texas Rep. Ron Paul, who have been strong Perry critics all along.
On Monday, they lashed out at Perry from the right, criticizing his positions on immigration, taxes and public health.
"Our taxes have doubled since he's been in office. Our spending has gone up double. Our debt has gone up nearly triple," Paul said of Perry's decade as governor. "So I would put a little damper on this, but I don't want to offend the governor, because he might raise my taxes or something."
Bachmann went after Perry for trying to require vaccinations on 11- and 12-year old girls to prevent a sexually transmitted disease that causes cervical cancer.
"To have innocent little 12-year-old girls be forced to have a government injection through an executive order is just flat out wrong," Bachmann said. "That should never be done. It's a violation of a liberty interest."
Perry defended his record the best he could, acknowledging a mistake by bypassing the state legislature to force the vaccines and highlighting job growth in Texas under his watch.
In the coming months, look to Romney to ensure Perry doesn't get off easy.
- IS attack on Afghan protest kills 80 people,...
- Penny-farthing owner keeps on riding
- A title and ship for new 'Star Trek' series:...
- New artificial reef is sunk off Florida's...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- Police: Munich suspect was obsessed with mass...
- Brie Larson confirmed as 'Captain Marvel'
- Authorities: Munich shooter planned attack...
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 44
- Trump says Russia should find Clinton's... 42
- Obama boosts Clinton: Carry her like... 38
- Clinton wins historic nomination,... 37
- After turmoil, Sanders, Michelle Obama,... 31
- Dems' division, emails roil party on... 28
- Watch live at the Democratic National... 25