Selected with the ninth overall pick in 2007, Ginn was considered the fastest draft bust in Dolphins history. He managed only five touchdown catches in three seasons while averaging 13.0 yards per reception.
Ginn seems to have moved on from all that. He made 12 catches last season with a TD in his first year with the 49ers.
On Sunday, he left Candlestick with a trio of souvenir balls — the game ball and two more from his TD runs.
Ginn has been telling his teammates all along he would break free.
"He said, 'Man, all I need is a couple more blocks and I will get in the end zone. And you saw it. Kickoff return," special teams mate Delanie Walker said. "He just did that by himself. It was a left return, he just took it all the way to the right. He's got the speed to get around the corner, and that's what he did. The punt return everyone had a great block, he broke a couple tackles, right up the middle for a touchdown.
"He says it all the time. Right when we get in our huddle when we say the play, 'Hey, one block and I'm going to do the rest and y'all can look at me score.' And that's what we did."
Harbaugh declined to address Ginn's pay cut, only praising his team-first attitude.
"Ted's a stud, no doubt a heck of a football player and a great guy," Harbaugh said. "Nobody would be disputing that. ... A real football player, courageous, talented, hardworking, great teammate."
Still, when Harbaugh was sitting at home Sunday night flipping through the sports channels for highlights, he never came across the Niners — despite Ginn's fine day. He knows respect for this franchise will take time. San Francisco has gone eight years without reaching the playoffs or posting a winning record.
"It just kind of documents what you know, what the perception is of our team around the league and around the country," Harbaugh said. "Some people can say that's not fair, it isn't right, but do something about it. And that's our mindset. That's our approach."
Ginn's fine day was a start.
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad story of...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 54
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 44
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35