Jazz hire Rich Sheubrooks for new global pro scouting director position
SALT LAKE CITY — Enes Kanter and Alec Burks won't be the only newcomers to the Utah Jazz organization this year.
While the NBA remains in lockout mode, the Jazz hired Rich Sheubrooks for their new position as the executive director of global pro scouting. He'll be in charge of scouting international players and leagues.
"We feel fortunate to be able to bring someone in with as much international experience as Rich has," Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor said in a news release. "Rich's knowledge and background can be a real asset to the Jazz organization in what has clearly become a global game."
Sheubrooks held a similar position with the Charlotte Bobcats for the past four years and with the Memphis Grizzlies the six years before that.
He is also a respected basketball figure internationally, having helped organize the popular Nike Hoop Summit for the past 14 years. That basketball event includes a game between the U.S. men's junior national select team and a world team with top international players 19-and-under.
Sheubrooks earned collegiate degrees at Texas A&M campuses, but he has lived in Europe the past 12 years. He has a home in Lake Norman, N.C., but lives in Barcelona, Spain.
The scout has coaching experience as well, having served as head coach at Texas A&I University (now Texas A&M Kingsville) from 1976-79. Prior to that, he was an assistant at Texas A&I and Midwestern State.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37