Jazz hire Rich Sheubrooks for new global pro scouting director position
SALT LAKE CITY — Enes Kanter and Alec Burks won't be the only newcomers to the Utah Jazz organization this year.
While the NBA remains in lockout mode, the Jazz hired Rich Sheubrooks for their new position as the executive director of global pro scouting. He'll be in charge of scouting international players and leagues.
"We feel fortunate to be able to bring someone in with as much international experience as Rich has," Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor said in a news release. "Rich's knowledge and background can be a real asset to the Jazz organization in what has clearly become a global game."
Sheubrooks held a similar position with the Charlotte Bobcats for the past four years and with the Memphis Grizzlies the six years before that.
He is also a respected basketball figure internationally, having helped organize the popular Nike Hoop Summit for the past 14 years. That basketball event includes a game between the U.S. men's junior national select team and a world team with top international players 19-and-under.
Sheubrooks earned collegiate degrees at Texas A&M campuses, but he has lived in Europe the past 12 years. He has a home in Lake Norman, N.C., but lives in Barcelona, Spain.
The scout has coaching experience as well, having served as head coach at Texas A&I University (now Texas A&M Kingsville) from 1976-79. Prior to that, he was an assistant at Texas A&I and Midwestern State.
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 76
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 28
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 27
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14