MURRAY — Intermountain Healthcare's Intermountain Medical Center is the first hospital in Utah to receive advanced certification in the treatment of heart failure — a disease that affects more than 6 million people nationwide.
The Joint Commission hospital accreditation agency created the advanced certification program based on the American Heart Association's "Get With the Guidelines" campaign, which provides clinical practice guidelines related to assessment, monitoring, management and performance improvement of heart failure care across inpatient and outpatient settings.
Intermountain, which uses the national guidelines to deliver "best-practice care" for patients living with heart failure, has been able to help "patients live longer and do better," said Dr. Deborah Budge, a heart failure specialist and cardiologist at IMC.
"Having an expertise in heart failure allows our team to be a resource to others across our health care system as well as to patients and other providers in the Intermountain West," said Kismet Rasmusson, a nurse practitioner with Intermountain's Heart Failure Prevention and Treatment program.
"Our goal has been to share knowledge to assist others with the care of heart failure in their community."
People with heart failure have a heart that either doesn't adequately fill with blood or pump efficiently, resulting in shortness of breath, activity intolerance and fatigue.
In addition to the heart failure certification, IMC has also received advanced certification from the Joint Commission in ventricular assist device care and stroke care.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Utah crafting rules for spending on water,...
- Utah city condemns Confederate flag display...
- Another first: Utah caretaker contracts Zika...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Payson to hold hearing on proposed tax increase
- UDOT plans to upgrade Redwood Road in...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 26
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14