MURRAY — Intermountain Healthcare's Intermountain Medical Center is the first hospital in Utah to receive advanced certification in the treatment of heart failure — a disease that affects more than 6 million people nationwide.
The Joint Commission hospital accreditation agency created the advanced certification program based on the American Heart Association's "Get With the Guidelines" campaign, which provides clinical practice guidelines related to assessment, monitoring, management and performance improvement of heart failure care across inpatient and outpatient settings.
Intermountain, which uses the national guidelines to deliver "best-practice care" for patients living with heart failure, has been able to help "patients live longer and do better," said Dr. Deborah Budge, a heart failure specialist and cardiologist at IMC.
"Having an expertise in heart failure allows our team to be a resource to others across our health care system as well as to patients and other providers in the Intermountain West," said Kismet Rasmusson, a nurse practitioner with Intermountain's Heart Failure Prevention and Treatment program.
"Our goal has been to share knowledge to assist others with the care of heart failure in their community."
People with heart failure have a heart that either doesn't adequately fill with blood or pump efficiently, resulting in shortness of breath, activity intolerance and fatigue.
In addition to the heart failure certification, IMC has also received advanced certification from the Joint Commission in ventricular assist device care and stroke care.
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Husband says he didn't know about wife's...
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on continued...
- Southern Utah left wanting for water
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held on $6...
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove garage;...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 92
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 74
- Utah attorney general encourages... 57
- Police nab man suspected of gropings at... 31
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 31
- Will Josh Powell's family argue he... 28
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24