Tony Ding, Associated Press
ANN ARBOR, Mich. — Desmond Howard was brought to tears when he was honored as the first "Michigan Football Legend" in a ceremony before the game against Notre Dame on Saturday night.
"This honor is something I will cherish every day of my life," Howard told the crowd at Michigan Stadium.
The school announced Howard's name will always be on the jersey of whomever is wearing No. 21, starting with receiver Junior Hemingway against the Fighting Irish.
"This is a great way to honor our legends," Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon said in a statement. "Desmond will be the first in what will become a unique way to honor some of our Michigan football greats. Many of our current fans and players don't know or remember the five jerseys that we have previously retired and who wore them.
"This concept is a visible representation of iconic figures in our program's storied history that fans across the country will see every Saturday."
Howard will also be the first Wolverines player featured in a new display at Schembechler Hall. Hemingway's lockers — and those who wear No. 21 in the future — at Schembechler Hall and Michigan Stadium will also be customized to reflect that Howard has been recognized as a "Michigan Football Legend."
Howard won the 1991 Heisman Trophy, sparked by a diving touchdown catch against Notre Dame in a sensational season he capped by striking the Heisman pose after scoring on a punt return against Ohio State. He is a College Football Hall of Famer and an ESPN analyst.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 61
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 23
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 20