Tony Ding, Associated Press
ANN ARBOR, Mich. — Desmond Howard was brought to tears when he was honored as the first "Michigan Football Legend" in a ceremony before the game against Notre Dame on Saturday night.
"This honor is something I will cherish every day of my life," Howard told the crowd at Michigan Stadium.
The school announced Howard's name will always be on the jersey of whomever is wearing No. 21, starting with receiver Junior Hemingway against the Fighting Irish.
"This is a great way to honor our legends," Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon said in a statement. "Desmond will be the first in what will become a unique way to honor some of our Michigan football greats. Many of our current fans and players don't know or remember the five jerseys that we have previously retired and who wore them.
"This concept is a visible representation of iconic figures in our program's storied history that fans across the country will see every Saturday."
Howard will also be the first Wolverines player featured in a new display at Schembechler Hall. Hemingway's lockers — and those who wear No. 21 in the future — at Schembechler Hall and Michigan Stadium will also be customized to reflect that Howard has been recognized as a "Michigan Football Legend."
Howard won the 1991 Heisman Trophy, sparked by a diving touchdown catch against Notre Dame in a sensational season he capped by striking the Heisman pose after scoring on a punt return against Ohio State. He is a College Football Hall of Famer and an ESPN analyst.
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU vs. Virginia primer
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 107
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 71
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 64
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 45
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40