SKIING: Director of Skiing Kevin Sweeney received the University of Utah's Don Reddish award for the 2010-11 academic year after leading the Utes to a runner-up finish at the 2011 NCAA Championships.
The Don Reddish Award is presented annually to the coach of a sport other than football, men's and women's basketball and gymnastics, who is deemed to have had the most successful season the previous year. Sweeney earned the award for the first time in his career after leading Utah to its 11th national title in school history in 2003.
"I am honored to receive this award. Receiving the Don Reddish Award is a true highlight for me," Sweeney said. "I would like to personally thank Don for this recognition. This was truly a team effort and I could not have been recognized for this award if it had not been for the dedication of my incredibly professional staff: [Head Alpine Coach] Jaka [Korencan], [Head Nordic Coach] Abi [Holt] and [Assistant Alpine Coach] Will [McDonald]. I would like to thank each of them for such a spirited and focused team. I also want to recognize the support staff in Utah Athletics. When we all work hard together, we are able to achieve some amazing results on and off the race course."
The award is named in honor of Reddish, Utah's all-time winningest men's swimming & diving coach, who coached the Utes from 1955-90 and won 17 conference titles while compiling a career dual-meet record of 265-83-6 (.701).
Utah finished second in every invitational last season, while skiing to a first-place finish in the RMISA regular-season standings. At the NCAA Championships, the Utes earned a total of 14 All-American honors and Utah combined for a total of 750.5 points to earn second place at the national meet.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 35
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 30
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 20