BYU at Texas
Saturday, 5 p.m. MT
Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium (100,119)
Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
Weather: 94 degrees, sunny
For Texas . . . the Longhorns lost an unthinkable four home games last season. They don't want to continue that trend, so Saturday's game is huge. Plus, Texas is back in the national rankings and looking to bounce back from a losing season in 2010. In Austin, the expectations are high.
For BYU . . . the Cougars defeated a team from the Southeastern Conference last week. Beating a Big 12 team, like Texas, would be a big statement in BYU's first season of independence.
For Texas . . . the Longhorns have won 35 of its last 39 games in the season's first month (August and September) under coach Mack Brown.
For BYU . . . the Cougars are 2-0 all-time against Texas, although both of those games were played way back in the 1980s.
Texas will win if . . . the Longhorns can force turnovers, stop BYU offense in the red zone, put defensive pressure on BYU QB Jake Heaps, and make big plays against the Cougars' relatively inexperienced secondary.
BYU will win if . . . the Cougars can run the football effectively, which would open up the passing game. BYU needs to put together sustained drives that result in points.
PLAYER TO WATCH
JAKE HEAPS, BYU: The Cougar quarterback had a checkered performance last week at Ole Miss. Can the sophomore learn from last week's mistakes and finish drives that end up in the end zone?
BYU'S WIDE RECEIVERS vs. TEXAS' SECONDARY: The Longhorns have speed and athleticism. Can Texas' cornerbacks and safeties bottle up the Cougars' stable of talented pass-catchers?
Texas visits UCLA on Sept. 17, while BYU will play its home-opener against arch-rival Utah (7:15 p.m., MT, ESPN2).
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 93
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 47
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33