BYU at Texas
Saturday, 5 p.m. MT
Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium (100,119)
Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
Weather: 94 degrees, sunny
For Texas . . . the Longhorns lost an unthinkable four home games last season. They don't want to continue that trend, so Saturday's game is huge. Plus, Texas is back in the national rankings and looking to bounce back from a losing season in 2010. In Austin, the expectations are high.
For BYU . . . the Cougars defeated a team from the Southeastern Conference last week. Beating a Big 12 team, like Texas, would be a big statement in BYU's first season of independence.
For Texas . . . the Longhorns have won 35 of its last 39 games in the season's first month (August and September) under coach Mack Brown.
For BYU . . . the Cougars are 2-0 all-time against Texas, although both of those games were played way back in the 1980s.
Texas will win if . . . the Longhorns can force turnovers, stop BYU offense in the red zone, put defensive pressure on BYU QB Jake Heaps, and make big plays against the Cougars' relatively inexperienced secondary.
BYU will win if . . . the Cougars can run the football effectively, which would open up the passing game. BYU needs to put together sustained drives that result in points.
PLAYER TO WATCH
JAKE HEAPS, BYU: The Cougar quarterback had a checkered performance last week at Ole Miss. Can the sophomore learn from last week's mistakes and finish drives that end up in the end zone?
BYU'S WIDE RECEIVERS vs. TEXAS' SECONDARY: The Longhorns have speed and athleticism. Can Texas' cornerbacks and safeties bottle up the Cougars' stable of talented pass-catchers?
Texas visits UCLA on Sept. 17, while BYU will play its home-opener against arch-rival Utah (7:15 p.m., MT, ESPN2).
- NFL to interview Matthew, Peppers, Harrison...
- Items owned by gangster 'Whitey' Bulger to be...
- World doping watchdog shuts down Rio Olympic...
- AP source: Irving, Barnes finish US Olympic...
- Federer out to turn around frustrating season...
- With 1-0 loss to Colombia, US finishes 4th in...
- Ipsen, Hixon get Olympic 3-meter spots,...
- National champion Sam Mikulak leads US men's...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 167
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 77
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 58
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 55
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 43
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 40
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 24
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20