Heaps' hype has overshadowed his actual performance so far. He needs to post numbers.
Texas is going to force Heaps to hurt them with the wideouts. USC will take away John White, supposedly, and they want Wynn to beat them with his arm.
It should be an interesting day, indeed.
Here are this week's picks:
Wisconsin 38, Oregon State 7: The Badgers worked UNLV and this Pac-12 team will get run over by the Badgers.
Stanford 42, Duke 3: Somebody remind me again, why is it that Duke football is in a BCS conference and what do they do with that birthright on Saturdays?
Oregon 36, Nevada 24: Bounce-back game for the Ducks. Nevada isn't LSU in any way, shape or form.
Cal 27, Colorado 10: The Buffs are still searching for some kind of identity, both in the game and in their new league.
Hawaii 28, Washington 21: I like the Warrior offense in a game where defenses need to make an appearance.
Washington State 21, UNLV 17: This one is an interesting matchup. I'll go with the Cougars simply on league recognition.
UCLA 17, San Jose State 14: The Bruins couldn't fall two weeks in a row. Well, it could happen with Rick, but I'll give the gambler the benefit of the dice.
Utah State 38, Weber State 23: How can Gary Andersen pick things up after that emotional trip to Auburn? Let us count the ways.
USC 21, Utah 20: The Trojan defense is capable of making the Utes one-dimensional and if it's the run that's the dimension, the Utes have a chance. But I wouldn't bet on it. Utah's hopes have to be in the fact Kyle Whittingham is a better coach than Lane Kiffin.
Texas 24, BYU 21: The Cougars are fully capable of beating Texas in Austin if Heaps has a New Mexico Bowl-type game and the defense allows no huge pass plays. Can't count on that yet.
Last week 5-2 (.714)
Today's QB Ratings
QB . . . . PASS EFFICIENCY RANK
Garret Gilbert . . . . Texas 158.16 24
Matt Barkley . . . . USC 154.30 33
Jordan Wynn . . . . Utah 130.80 55
Jake Heaps . . . . BYU 116.32 69
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Doug Robinson: What might have been for the...
- BYU basketball: Cougars shake up starting...
- BYU holds on for 78-74 win over San Francisco
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 73
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 61
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35