As we approach the tenth anniversary of 9/11, I can't help thinking of my reaction after watching the towers collapse. I thought, Now what do we do? Do we nuke somebody? Do we declare war and invade whoever is responsible for this? But even that first day, educated guesses were that Muslim terrorists were responsible. How could we find them and punish them?
And then I thought, that this is the United States of America. We don't need to react to some terrorist hiding in a cave somewhere. Why can't we simply turn the other cheek, rebuild the World Trade Towers and thumb our nose at the terrorists? They can't hurt us.
Terrorists can't hurt us, but we can hurt ourselves. Have we punished Iraq and Afghanistan? Have we helped them? Have we put an end to terrorism? When I think of the soldiers we have lost, when I think of the trillions of dollars wasted, when I think of the empty ground where the towers once stood. Wouldn't we have been better off to turn the other cheek, and use our money to rebuild the towers?
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift...
- My view: Drafting women a threat to religious...
- Richard Davis: What will Americans sacrifice...
- Derek B. Miller: It's my party and I'll decry...
- In our opinion: Politics and ISIS
- Jay Evensen: The IOC demonstrates again why...
- Letter: Cruz took a stand
- Letter: Acting presidential
- Letter: Guns in America 55
- In our opinion: Planned Parenthood... 49
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 47
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- Letter: Acting presidential 31
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 30
- Dan Liljenquist: Presidential politics... 29
- My view: What message does Melania's... 25