BYU football: Despite last season's losing record, Texas still has plenty of mystique
"Even though they didn't have the kind of season they wanted last season, I know they have a great coach and a lot of good athletes down there," he said. "They have a great program. People are going to be expecting them to come out and win games. That's a lot of motivation for a team to put that together and live up to their name and I think they're going to fight to do that. We expect the best Texas team we can possibly imagine."
Linebacker Jordan Pendleton said Texas simply went through a "rebuilding year" last season.
"We didn't have a good record last year, either. It was a rebuilding year for us," he said. "A team like that you always have to respect. We respect everybody we play. We're not going in looking at them like, 'They had a losing record last year.' We're playing Texas, and they have a great coach there and he's going to have his team ready."
The Cougars vow that they won't be intimidated by the huge crowd or the mystique of Texas.
"We don't get intimidated by anyone. It doesn't matter who you are," said Ogletree. "It doesn't matter if you're Texas or the Dallas Cowboys. We don't care who we're playing."
"We don't get intimidated. We take all of these teams as a challenge," Pendleton said. "We're excited to be able to play these types of teams, being independent now and getting that exposure. We want to show that we can play with anybody. That's our plan. Win or lose, we want to go out and play the best teams."
The Cougars would like to make another statement Saturday, one week after downing a Southeastern Conference team on the road, by beating a Big 12 foe — Texas — on the road.
"We're trying to say that we can play with anyone out there. Hopefully we can back it up and do that," said BYU center Terence Brown. "You want to play the best. If you end up losing to them, you at least know where you stand. I think we'll go down there and have a good fight on our hands."
Cougars and Longhorns on the air
BYU (1-0) at No. 24 Texas (1-0)
Saturday, 5 p.m. MT
Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin, Texas
Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
- College football predictions: How will 2014...
- Ranking the best season by a quarterback in...
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars So'oto,...
- Peavler: Why the UConn game won't be a repeat...
- BYU Cougars video: Jeff Call tells us what to...
- The good, the bad and the most likely:...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall,...
- Hollis column: How well will 'Big Five'...
- College football predictions: How will... 72
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 48
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 39
- True freshman Brad Kaaya beats out... 36
- Brad Rock: Five reasons Utes think... 35
- UCLA defensive end Kylie Fitts... 31
- BYU football: Taysom Hill's experience,... 30