BYU football: Despite last season's losing record, Texas still has plenty of mystique
"Even though they didn't have the kind of season they wanted last season, I know they have a great coach and a lot of good athletes down there," he said. "They have a great program. People are going to be expecting them to come out and win games. That's a lot of motivation for a team to put that together and live up to their name and I think they're going to fight to do that. We expect the best Texas team we can possibly imagine."
Linebacker Jordan Pendleton said Texas simply went through a "rebuilding year" last season.
"We didn't have a good record last year, either. It was a rebuilding year for us," he said. "A team like that you always have to respect. We respect everybody we play. We're not going in looking at them like, 'They had a losing record last year.' We're playing Texas, and they have a great coach there and he's going to have his team ready."
The Cougars vow that they won't be intimidated by the huge crowd or the mystique of Texas.
"We don't get intimidated by anyone. It doesn't matter who you are," said Ogletree. "It doesn't matter if you're Texas or the Dallas Cowboys. We don't care who we're playing."
"We don't get intimidated. We take all of these teams as a challenge," Pendleton said. "We're excited to be able to play these types of teams, being independent now and getting that exposure. We want to show that we can play with anybody. That's our plan. Win or lose, we want to go out and play the best teams."
The Cougars would like to make another statement Saturday, one week after downing a Southeastern Conference team on the road, by beating a Big 12 foe — Texas — on the road.
"We're trying to say that we can play with anyone out there. Hopefully we can back it up and do that," said BYU center Terence Brown. "You want to play the best. If you end up losing to them, you at least know where you stand. I think we'll go down there and have a good fight on our hands."
Cougars and Longhorns on the air
BYU (1-0) at No. 24 Texas (1-0)
Saturday, 5 p.m. MT
Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin, Texas
Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 63
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 45
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 16
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8