Quantcast

Cheyenne man accused in shootings has hearing

By Ben Neary

Associated Press

Published: Thursday, Sept. 8 2011 1:20 p.m. MDT

CHEYENNE, Wyo. — A judge has ruled that the state's case against a Cheyenne man accused of killing two people and wounding a third last month is strong enough to require him to answer murder charges in district court.

Circuit Court Judge Catherine Rogers on Thursday ordered 32-year-old Nathaniel Castellanos held without bail pending his arraignment in district court in coming weeks.

Prosecutor Mike Blonigen told Rogers that he may elect to seek the death penalty against Castellanos.

A police detective testified Thursday that Castellanos told officers that a marijuana deal gone bad led to the Aug. 23 shootings at his home.

The detective says Castellanos told police that a gunman fled his home after shooting the victims. But the detective says police officers were outside the home and didn't see anyone leave.

Get The Deseret News Everywhere

Subscribe

Mobile

RSS