"You know how many households there are in Texas? 8.9 million," a person familiar with the situation has told AP previously, adding that the league had to listen when the Aggies came knocking. "Why would we want to hand that to the Pac 12 or any another conference?"
The person said it's a "business decision" for the SEC.
The Aggies will likely have to pay an exit fee for leaving the Big 12. It cost Nebraska $9.25 million and Colorado $6.9 million. But that shouldn't hold up the move, considering the SEC distributed a record $18.3 million in revenue to each of the 12 members this year.
With that kind of money — and possibly even more to be had — conference realignment across the country could be on the horizon.
"The landscape is changing," said Tennessee coach Derek Dooley. "It's that old saying: It's not about the money, it's about the amount."
The poaching of schools is already well under way.
Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long told the AP that his school had been contacted about joining the shrinking Big 12 — which has already lost Nebraska (Big Ten) and Colorado (Pac-12). Oklahoma president David Boren said last week that multiple conferences have expressed interest in the Sooners and he expects a decision within a few weeks.
Oklahoma State billionaire booster Boone Pickens also said he doesn't think the Big 12 will survive much longer and predicted the Cowboys will eventually join the Pac-12.
The speculation on the SEC swiftly changed from who might be a likely 14th team to will there be a 13th?
David Williams, Vanderbilt's vice chancellor for university affairs and athletics, thinks the SEC would be fine with only 13 — or 12.
"The Big 10 stayed at 11 for quite awhile," he said. "I think that our folks at the conference, they'll work all of this out; 12, 13, 14 whatever it is we'll be a happy family."
AP Sports Writers Stephen Hawkins, Kurt Voigt, Kristie Rieken, Teresa Walker, Beth Rucker and David Brandt contributed to this report.
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Injury-riddled BYU set to host WCC powerhouse...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 74
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 61
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52