Utah Utes football: Harvey Langi to get some carries for Utes
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — True freshman Harvey Langi, who made his collegiate debut on special teams in Utah's 27-10 win over Montana State last Thursday, will see action at running back this week at USC.
"You'll see Harvey in the game on Saturday," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said while confirming that the former Bingham High star will be in the backfield. "He'll be in the mix."
John White, who rushed for 150 yards in the season opener, remains the starter. Backup Tauni Vakapuna, however, is hobbled with a high ankle sprain.
"So Harvey is going to be the guy that will get some reps," Whittingham said.
Vakapuna had 10 carries against Montana State.
The move, Whittingham insists, is not being made out of necessity.
"(Harvey has) progressed and got to the point now where we feel comfortable putting him in a game," Whittingham said.
Langi enrolled at Utah last January after earning high school All-America honors at Bingham. The 6-foot-1, 225-pound running back led the Miners to back-to-back 5A state championships. He finished his high school career with 4,289 yards rushing and 55 touchdowns.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Live stream: High school drill team state...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired assistant...
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to Pacific,...
- Rodney Hood outplays Duke teammate Jabari...
- Hood, Hayward help Jazz eclipse Suns for...
- Utah Jazz: After sluggish first half, Jazz...
- BYU basketball: Cougars look to keep rolling...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 96
- Morning links: Which Utah school has... 93
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 82
- BYU football: 2016 recruiting class... 42
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 41
- College football signing day central:... 34
- 5-star LDS linebacker prospect Mique... 33
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29