Utah Utes football: Harvey Langi to get some carries for Utes
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — True freshman Harvey Langi, who made his collegiate debut on special teams in Utah's 27-10 win over Montana State last Thursday, will see action at running back this week at USC.
"You'll see Harvey in the game on Saturday," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said while confirming that the former Bingham High star will be in the backfield. "He'll be in the mix."
John White, who rushed for 150 yards in the season opener, remains the starter. Backup Tauni Vakapuna, however, is hobbled with a high ankle sprain.
"So Harvey is going to be the guy that will get some reps," Whittingham said.
Vakapuna had 10 carries against Montana State.
The move, Whittingham insists, is not being made out of necessity.
"(Harvey has) progressed and got to the point now where we feel comfortable putting him in a game," Whittingham said.
Langi enrolled at Utah last January after earning high school All-America honors at Bingham. The 6-foot-1, 225-pound running back led the Miners to back-to-back 5A state championships. He finished his high school career with 4,289 yards rushing and 55 touchdowns.
- The Cougars and their coach's ’stache...
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- Jimmer & Jimbo: As one pursues a steady role,...
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU past...
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Presto! Utah Jazz pull a magical 2nd win out...
- Brad Rock: Utes now look at bowl pairing from...
- Lone Peak guard Frank Jackson drops...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 60
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 39
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31