Utah Utes football: Harvey Langi to get some carries for Utes
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — True freshman Harvey Langi, who made his collegiate debut on special teams in Utah's 27-10 win over Montana State last Thursday, will see action at running back this week at USC.
"You'll see Harvey in the game on Saturday," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said while confirming that the former Bingham High star will be in the backfield. "He'll be in the mix."
John White, who rushed for 150 yards in the season opener, remains the starter. Backup Tauni Vakapuna, however, is hobbled with a high ankle sprain.
"So Harvey is going to be the guy that will get some reps," Whittingham said.
Vakapuna had 10 carries against Montana State.
The move, Whittingham insists, is not being made out of necessity.
"(Harvey has) progressed and got to the point now where we feel comfortable putting him in a game," Whittingham said.
Langi enrolled at Utah last January after earning high school All-America honors at Bingham. The 6-foot-1, 225-pound running back led the Miners to back-to-back 5A state championships. He finished his high school career with 4,289 yards rushing and 55 touchdowns.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37