Utah Utes football: Harvey Langi to get some carries for Utes
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — True freshman Harvey Langi, who made his collegiate debut on special teams in Utah's 27-10 win over Montana State last Thursday, will see action at running back this week at USC.
"You'll see Harvey in the game on Saturday," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said while confirming that the former Bingham High star will be in the backfield. "He'll be in the mix."
John White, who rushed for 150 yards in the season opener, remains the starter. Backup Tauni Vakapuna, however, is hobbled with a high ankle sprain.
"So Harvey is going to be the guy that will get some reps," Whittingham said.
Vakapuna had 10 carries against Montana State.
The move, Whittingham insists, is not being made out of necessity.
"(Harvey has) progressed and got to the point now where we feel comfortable putting him in a game," Whittingham said.
Langi enrolled at Utah last January after earning high school All-America honors at Bingham. The 6-foot-1, 225-pound running back led the Miners to back-to-back 5A state championships. He finished his high school career with 4,289 yards rushing and 55 touchdowns.
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Utah football fall practice position preview:...
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 126
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 70
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 70
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 59
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 31