LOGAN — The 2011 Leonard J. Arrington Mormon History Lecture will be at the Logan LDS Institute of Religion, 600 Darwin Ave., adjacent to Utah State University's Taggart Student Center, on Sept. 15 at 7 p.m. The lecture features Richard V. Francaviglia in a presentation titled "'Like the Hajis of Meccah and Jerusalem' — Orientalism and the Mormon Experience 1820-1970."
"We appreciate the efforts of everyone at the Logan LDS institute who worked with us to make this last-minute change," said Brad Cole, associate dean for Special Collections and Archives and University Libraries at USU. "We needed a venue to accommodate the size of our normal audience and the institute's cultural center was available on the originally scheduled date and the hall was graciously made available to us."
The LDS institute will provide parking tokens for those attending the lecture who park at the USU Aggie Terrace.
Also, the 2011 Leonard J. Arrington Writing Awards, a student writing competition associated with the lecture, will accept submissions through 5 p.m. on Dec. 9.
Students must complete an essay after attending the lecture, where official entry forms are available. Submissions should include a 2,500-word essay related to the lecture, including a one-page synopsis of the lecture. A minimum of two outside research sources, including books, articles, newspapers and primary documents, should be included in a bibliography (not part of the 2,500 words). The essay should relate to the lecture topic but can expand or create new connections. The writing style can be expository, persuasive or reflective, but not fiction.
The first place award is $1,000, with $500 and $250 going to second and third places. A panel of judges evaluates all entries. Writing award entries should be submitted in person to Special Collections and Archives, Room 035, Merrill-Cazier Library, or mail to: Special Collections & Archives, 3000 Old Main Hill, Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322-3000. For information or questions, call Special Collections and Archives at 435-797-2663. Additional information and complete rules are available at the Special Collections website.
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- LDS Church to create new missions in Utah and...
- 'American Idol' alum Brooke White creates...
- How would LDS be affected by renewed US-Cuba...
- Christmas without Jesus
- Little Lamb: A babe in white linen on white...
- BYU-Hawaii commencement: No escalator to heaven
- 'A light on the hill': Las Vegas Nevada...
- Defending the Faith: A modern witness... 44
- How would LDS be affected by renewed... 27
- LDS Church to create new missions in... 20
- Christmas without Jesus 19
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary... 9
- Two LDS temples will be closing for... 4
- Little Lamb: A babe in white linen on... 4
- Wright Words: 'Christmas Jars' movement... 2