BYU football: Cougars have fared well of late vs. Big 12 opponents
BYU made national headlines in 2009 by knocking out defending Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Sam Bradford, and then knocking off then-No. 3 Oklahoma, in the first game played at billion-dollar Cowboys Stadium.
Cougar wide receiver McKay Jacobson, who caught the game-winning touchdown pass in that upset against the Sooners, is from Texas and has followed the Longhorns, as well as Big 12 football in general, for years.
"I liked watching all of the Big 12 teams play and it was fun watching them growing up," Jacobson said. "A lot of the big-time recruits (in Texas) go to Texas or Oklahoma. There's just a lot of tradition and history. They've been successful for many, many years."
Jacobson, who spent time as a youth attending football camps at Texas, added that playing at 100,000-seat Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium will be a thrill. "It definitely means a lot. I would always watch those local games on TV."
Playing at Texas, Jacobson said is "always been something I've wanted to do."
Many BYU fans would love to see their team play teams like Texas and Oklahoma on a regular basis, as members of the Big 12. Do the Cougars deserve the opportunity to be part of a BCS conference?
"Hopefully our body of work would say yes," said BYU center Terence Brown. "That's what I would hope. But you never know."
Cougars on the air
BYU (1-0) at
No. 24 Texas (1-0)
Saturday, 5 p.m. MT
Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin, Texas
Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
BYU vs. the Big 12
The Cougars have played respectably against the current members of the Big 12 Conference. Here's how BYU has fared all-time against those teams:
Oklahoma State 0-2
Kansas State 4-4
Texas A&M 2-1
Texas Tech 0-1
Iowa State 0-4
- Utah football: Utes outlast Michigan to win...
- Cougars in the pros: Lasike scores first pro...
- Brad Rock: Utes to Harbaugh: Update your...
- Special teams makes big plays as Utah State...
- BYU football: Suspensions impacting both BYU...
- Live blog: Utah opens year with victory over...
- Nebraska looking to set tone of Mike Riley...
- Utah Utes report card: Harbaugh, Michigan...
- Utah football: Utes outlast Michigan to... 107
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 80
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault,... 72
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 51
- Utah's 'big game' against Big Blue has... 43
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in... 37
- Brad Rock: Take expletives, not... 35
- Morning links: Taysom Hill, Chuckie... 29