Pendleton said in the second half of the Mississippi game, he felt BYU was playing harder than the SEC opponent and that's why the Cougars scored 14 straight points to win the game.
"In the game I was like, 'this game is easier, it is easier in the game than it is at practice,' " Pendleton said.
"Some of the practices I go through I want to pass out," he said. "During the game, I was breathing OK and felt fine. It's crazy but that's the point — to make sure in a game we are ready, we can play with our instincts and we aren't worried about catching our breath or being tired. We're only worried about our assignments and playing as hard as we can. It was good."
It is one thing to speak platitudes about being together and working hard, but it's another to do it. Perhaps this aids Mendenhall in getting Pendleton and others to believe they can go harder than they realize.
"We trust him," said Brown.
Mendenhall's gray T-shirt does have the Nike swoosh, as do his shoes and hat, as per his equipment contract to display the corporate goods.
But fashion has absolutely nothing to do with the message printed on the back.
He may look like he just got out of Gold's Gym, but its supposed to be that way.
A bow tie just wouldn't do.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34