Willis Glassgow, Associated Press
SIMI VALLEY, Calif. — Rick Perry is looking to make a strong first impression on the national stage. Mitt Romney is hoping for another flawless debate performance, while Michele Bachmann may be shooting for relevance in what increasingly appears to be a two-man race.
The three GOP presidential candidates were to appear onstage Wednesday at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library with the rest of the Republican field for the first of three debates in as many weeks.
The events promise to shape the GOP presidential race heading into this winter's series of nominating primaries and caucuses.
Polls show Perry, the Texas governor, and Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, competing for the lead. Bachmann, the Minnesota congresswoman who was running strong in polls earlier this summer, is trailing, alongside other lesser-known Republican candidates.
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Africa and...
- Students clean up after mayhem near pumpkin fest
- Wanted: Cities interested in hosting 2024...
- Indiana man's confession leads to 7 bodies
- The poorest of the poor in many Third World...
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign of split
- This type of high school can increase your...
- Can public officials refuse to perform...
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 68
- Official: 2nd worker isolated within 90... 21
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 21
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 18
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 16
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 15
- Are teachers getting behind Common... 15
- Gay marriage becomes legal in Arizona,... 14