Miami has been saying that for a while now, to no avail. Since the start of the 2009 season, Miami has turned the ball over 61 times, the second-most among teams from college football's top division over that span. (The "other" Miami — the one from Ohio — has 62.)
Golden watched Miami's loss to Notre Dame in last year's Sun Bowl from a box above the field, insisting afterward that he would not stand for debacles like the 10-penalty, four-turnover effort put forth by the Hurricanes that day.
Miami had those exact same numbers Monday.
So what was broken last year apparently is not yet fixed.
"It's unacceptable," Morris said. "That's the only word I can say from an offensive standpoint. It's not supposed to happen."
Of the 10 penalties, eight were the ones coaches loathe — mental errors. Golden has posted many signs in Miami's football complex, and the one about penalties may be most direct. "All Are Avoidable," it says. That message didn't click Monday, when Miami had three false starts, two delay-of-game flags on consecutive plays, two illegal substitutions and an illegal formation that nullified a run to the Maryland 3.
On that drive, a 15-play, 67-yard march that chewed 8:30 off the clock in the fourth quarter, Miami settled for a field goal instead of a touchdown.
Notes: Golden said the Hurricanes got out of the game relatively injury-free. ... Golden said freshmen Anthony Chickillo, Denzel Perryman and Phillip Dorsett stood out as players making debuts. "Clearly, we built some depth," Golden said.
- Deseret News previews of all 103 varsity...
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- Doug Robinson: BYU's schedule is a football...
- Brad Rock: Jerry Sloan praises ref who may...
- Preseason viewer’s guide: Clash of the...
- Felt's Facts, Week 1: Where does Duchesne's...
- High school football: Top 10 storylines to...
- BYU coaches focus on shoring up special teams
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 146
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 110
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 106
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 76
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 75
- Doug Robinson: BYU's schedule is a... 71
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 46
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should... 46