Miami has been saying that for a while now, to no avail. Since the start of the 2009 season, Miami has turned the ball over 61 times, the second-most among teams from college football's top division over that span. (The "other" Miami — the one from Ohio — has 62.)
Golden watched Miami's loss to Notre Dame in last year's Sun Bowl from a box above the field, insisting afterward that he would not stand for debacles like the 10-penalty, four-turnover effort put forth by the Hurricanes that day.
Miami had those exact same numbers Monday.
So what was broken last year apparently is not yet fixed.
"It's unacceptable," Morris said. "That's the only word I can say from an offensive standpoint. It's not supposed to happen."
Of the 10 penalties, eight were the ones coaches loathe — mental errors. Golden has posted many signs in Miami's football complex, and the one about penalties may be most direct. "All Are Avoidable," it says. That message didn't click Monday, when Miami had three false starts, two delay-of-game flags on consecutive plays, two illegal substitutions and an illegal formation that nullified a run to the Maryland 3.
On that drive, a 15-play, 67-yard march that chewed 8:30 off the clock in the fourth quarter, Miami settled for a field goal instead of a touchdown.
Notes: Golden said the Hurricanes got out of the game relatively injury-free. ... Golden said freshmen Anthony Chickillo, Denzel Perryman and Phillip Dorsett stood out as players making debuts. "Clearly, we built some depth," Golden said.
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls...
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- Health care debate about presidential trust,...
- The American Dream is still alive for 20...
- Nelson Mandela's faith made him a worldwide...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 117
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve... 115
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 27
- Space and religion: How believers view... 23
- Obama administration will allow green... 17
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 17
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million... 13
- Health care debate about presidential... 13