Miami has been saying that for a while now, to no avail. Since the start of the 2009 season, Miami has turned the ball over 61 times, the second-most among teams from college football's top division over that span. (The "other" Miami — the one from Ohio — has 62.)
Golden watched Miami's loss to Notre Dame in last year's Sun Bowl from a box above the field, insisting afterward that he would not stand for debacles like the 10-penalty, four-turnover effort put forth by the Hurricanes that day.
Miami had those exact same numbers Monday.
So what was broken last year apparently is not yet fixed.
"It's unacceptable," Morris said. "That's the only word I can say from an offensive standpoint. It's not supposed to happen."
Of the 10 penalties, eight were the ones coaches loathe — mental errors. Golden has posted many signs in Miami's football complex, and the one about penalties may be most direct. "All Are Avoidable," it says. That message didn't click Monday, when Miami had three false starts, two delay-of-game flags on consecutive plays, two illegal substitutions and an illegal formation that nullified a run to the Maryland 3.
On that drive, a 15-play, 67-yard march that chewed 8:30 off the clock in the fourth quarter, Miami settled for a field goal instead of a touchdown.
Notes: Golden said the Hurricanes got out of the game relatively injury-free. ... Golden said freshmen Anthony Chickillo, Denzel Perryman and Phillip Dorsett stood out as players making debuts. "Clearly, we built some depth," Golden said.
- From 0.3 to 81.1: What percentage of each...
- 2 on missing Malaysia jet used stolen EU...
- Terrorist attack? Mechanical failure? Reasons...
- Oil slicks found in hunt for Malaysia jet...
- Rutgers faculty council pushes for school to...
- FBI to investigate disappearance of a...
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- No longer loyal to Boy Scouts of America,...
- No longer loyal to Boy Scouts of... 53
- Obama administration allows 2-year... 28
- Putin: Russia has right to use force in... 22
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in... 21
- Half of millennials more likely to lean... 14
- Former IRS official Lois Lerner again... 11
- New Ukraine prime minister: Crimea will... 9
- US announces visa restrictions on Russians 9