CARSON CITY, Nev. — A man with a rifle opened fire at an IHOP restaurant in Nevada's capital on Tuesday, killing two National Guard members, another person and himself in a hail of gunfire during the morning breakfast hour, authorities and witnesses said.
Six people were wounded in the attack. The suspect, who hasn't been identified, apparently acted alone and died at a hospital in Reno, officials said. Authorities weren't saying whether the attack targeted the Guard members, who were meeting at the restaurant in a strip mall on Carson City's main street.
One of the Guard members killed was a man; the other was a woman, authorities said.
Witnesses said the gunman pulled up in a blue minivan around 9 a.m. and shot a man on a motorcycle, then walked inside the restaurant and started shooting. He then walked outside and fires shots at a barbecue restaurant and an H&R Block in the strip mall, and a casino across the street.
"I don't know what's happening to my city," Fran Hunter, who works at a Sierra Le Bone, a pet shop just north of the IHOP, told the Reno Gazette-Journal. "This happens in L.A. or Las Vegas but not here."
The state Capitol and Supreme Court buildings were locked down for about 40 minutes, and extra security measures were put in place at state and military buildings in northern Nevada, but the shooting appeared to be an isolated incident, said Carson City Sheriff Kenny Furlong.
"There were concerns at the onset, so we took certain steps to ensure we had the capability to embrace an even larger circumstance," Furlong said. "At this point in time it appears to be isolated to this parking lot."
Local and state police and FBI agents descended on the scene, and yellow police tape surrounded the parking lot at the restaurant, which is near a Kohl's department store.
"As you know when you have people in uniform who are randomly targeted for whatever reason this may have been, it is a safety precaution we take very seriously," said Nevada Highway Patrol Trooper Chuck Allen.
Renown Regional Medicare Center spokesman Dan Davis told The Associated Press four victims of the shooting were being treated at the hospital in Reno, but he said he could not discuss their condition or provide any other information.
Kurt Althof, public relations manager for Care Flight, told the Gazette-Journal three victims had been taken to the hospital by helicopter and that two were in critical condition.
Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., released a statement expressing condolences to the victims' families.
"I'm deeply saddened by this senseless act and extend my sympathies to those afflicted this morning," Reid said. "I applaud the first responders for their professionalism, and my thoughts are with the victims and their families during this difficult time."
Rep. Joe Heck, R-Nev., posted on Twitter that his heart and prayers go out to the victims' friends and families. And state Sen. Ben Kieckhefer tweeted: "My God be with the families of those hurt and killed in the senseless violence today in Carson City."
Associated Press writers Michelle Rindels and Ken Ritter in Las Vegas and Scott Sonner in Reno contributed to this report.