Ravell Call, Deseret News
Is Utah putting makeup on a pig?
However, neither the prognostication nor the Pac-12 duels have reflected Utah’s typical mode of defeat in their all-time series against the Trojans.
The Utes have lost by 26-plus points four times. Another was a 13-point decision before 1993, when they fell by a touchdown at a neutral site. Overall, Utah is just 3-8 against USC (1-5 in Los Angeles), losing six straight in a series that began in 1915. That was before either Rice-Eccles Stadium or the Los Angeles Coliseum existed. The first four contests were played by the time A&W was started in 1919, at a parade honoring World War I veterans. The 1925, 1932 and 1948 games were all played at the Coliseum, where Saturday's game will be played.
The Utes won the first two matchups in as many seasons — but the next victory didn’t come for another 85 years, a defensive struggle in the Las Vegas Bowl.
Rhett Wilkinson is a project manager for UtahPolicy.com and hails the true-blooded Aggies from Utah. The co-founder of magazine Aggie BluePrint.com, he's been an intern for the Deseret News and other publications. email@example.com | @wilklogan
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19