Ravell Call, Deseret News
Is Utah putting makeup on a pig?
However, neither the prognostication nor the Pac-12 duels have reflected Utah’s typical mode of defeat in their all-time series against the Trojans.
The Utes have lost by 26-plus points four times. Another was a 13-point decision before 1993, when they fell by a touchdown at a neutral site. Overall, Utah is just 3-8 against USC (1-5 in Los Angeles), losing six straight in a series that began in 1915. That was before either Rice-Eccles Stadium or the Los Angeles Coliseum existed. The first four contests were played by the time A&W was started in 1919, at a parade honoring World War I veterans. The 1925, 1932 and 1948 games were all played at the Coliseum, where Saturday's game will be played.
The Utes won the first two matchups in as many seasons — but the next victory didn’t come for another 85 years, a defensive struggle in the Las Vegas Bowl.
Rhett Wilkinson is a project manager for UtahPolicy.com and hails the true-blooded Aggies from Utah. The co-founder of magazine Aggie BluePrint.com, he's been an intern for the Deseret News and other publications. firstname.lastname@example.org | @wilklogan
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 61
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34