Ravell Call, Deseret News
Is Utah putting makeup on a pig?
However, neither the prognostication nor the Pac-12 duels have reflected Utah’s typical mode of defeat in their all-time series against the Trojans.
The Utes have lost by 26-plus points four times. Another was a 13-point decision before 1993, when they fell by a touchdown at a neutral site. Overall, Utah is just 3-8 against USC (1-5 in Los Angeles), losing six straight in a series that began in 1915. That was before either Rice-Eccles Stadium or the Los Angeles Coliseum existed. The first four contests were played by the time A&W was started in 1919, at a parade honoring World War I veterans. The 1925, 1932 and 1948 games were all played at the Coliseum, where Saturday's game will be played.
The Utes won the first two matchups in as many seasons — but the next victory didn’t come for another 85 years, a defensive struggle in the Las Vegas Bowl.
Rhett Wilkinson is a project manager for UtahPolicy.com and hails the true-blooded Aggies from Utah. The co-founder of magazine Aggie BluePrint.com, he's been an intern for the Deseret News and other publications. firstname.lastname@example.org | @wilklogan
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 80
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34