Saturday also marked the debut of Ben Cahoon as receivers coach and Joe DuPaix as running backs coach. Doman, who called the plays from the field during the game, liked the way the group worked together for the first time. He credited longtime assistant Lance Reynolds for his wisdom and advice from the press box.
"The difficult task for the offensive coordinator is to now take these seven or eight ideas that everybody's got and make one call," Doman said. "Then put it into a sequence of plays that put together a big drive and keep the defense at bay. I'll learn as I go. I'm inexperienced. I understand. I'll get better as well."
What grade would Doman give himself for Saturday's performance?
"Probably a 'C', I think. There were a couple of calls I'd like to change and go back and re-do," he said. "But I don't know that I'll get to an 'A' for a while. Right now, I've got a long ways to go."
Cougars on the air
BYU (1-0) at Texas (1-0)
Saturday, 5 p.m. MT
Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium
Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: AJeffreyCall
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 99
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 51
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34