Saturday also marked the debut of Ben Cahoon as receivers coach and Joe DuPaix as running backs coach. Doman, who called the plays from the field during the game, liked the way the group worked together for the first time. He credited longtime assistant Lance Reynolds for his wisdom and advice from the press box.
"The difficult task for the offensive coordinator is to now take these seven or eight ideas that everybody's got and make one call," Doman said. "Then put it into a sequence of plays that put together a big drive and keep the defense at bay. I'll learn as I go. I'm inexperienced. I understand. I'll get better as well."
What grade would Doman give himself for Saturday's performance?
"Probably a 'C', I think. There were a couple of calls I'd like to change and go back and re-do," he said. "But I don't know that I'll get to an 'A' for a while. Right now, I've got a long ways to go."
Cougars on the air
BYU (1-0) at Texas (1-0)
Saturday, 5 p.m. MT
Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium
Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: AJeffreyCall
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- High school boys track: Davis wins another 5A...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood...
- High school girls track: Davis wins...
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a mythical...
- High school track: Boys championship results...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- Considerable work, planning has gone... 71
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 67
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 65
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 62
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 61
- Utes football: No changes imminent for... 57
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A, 3A state... 49
- BYU football to receive 6-figure payout... 41