Saturday also marked the debut of Ben Cahoon as receivers coach and Joe DuPaix as running backs coach. Doman, who called the plays from the field during the game, liked the way the group worked together for the first time. He credited longtime assistant Lance Reynolds for his wisdom and advice from the press box.
"The difficult task for the offensive coordinator is to now take these seven or eight ideas that everybody's got and make one call," Doman said. "Then put it into a sequence of plays that put together a big drive and keep the defense at bay. I'll learn as I go. I'm inexperienced. I understand. I'll get better as well."
What grade would Doman give himself for Saturday's performance?
"Probably a 'C', I think. There were a couple of calls I'd like to change and go back and re-do," he said. "But I don't know that I'll get to an 'A' for a while. Right now, I've got a long ways to go."
Cougars on the air
BYU (1-0) at Texas (1-0)
Saturday, 5 p.m. MT
Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium
Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: AJeffreyCall
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler Haws'...
- Stump the Smith: Can you answer the questions...
- Hard work, dedication pay off for Utah's Karl...
- ESPN trivia guru: University of Utah graduate...
- High school softball: Copper Hills earns a...
- BYU basketball: Agustin Ambrosino leaves BYU...
- LIVE TODAY: Deseret News live streaming...
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz remain in...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 55
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler... 27
- Hard work, dedication pay off for... 20
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 19
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 15
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 8