Saturday also marked the debut of Ben Cahoon as receivers coach and Joe DuPaix as running backs coach. Doman, who called the plays from the field during the game, liked the way the group worked together for the first time. He credited longtime assistant Lance Reynolds for his wisdom and advice from the press box.
"The difficult task for the offensive coordinator is to now take these seven or eight ideas that everybody's got and make one call," Doman said. "Then put it into a sequence of plays that put together a big drive and keep the defense at bay. I'll learn as I go. I'm inexperienced. I understand. I'll get better as well."
What grade would Doman give himself for Saturday's performance?
"Probably a 'C', I think. There were a couple of calls I'd like to change and go back and re-do," he said. "But I don't know that I'll get to an 'A' for a while. Right now, I've got a long ways to go."
Cougars on the air
BYU (1-0) at Texas (1-0)
Saturday, 5 p.m. MT
Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium
Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: AJeffreyCall
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of 3-pointers,...
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- High school boys basketball: Bountiful...
- Dick Harmon: Kyle Collinsworth's career game...
- High school boys basketball: Underdog...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up short...
- Duke's Jabari Parker faces tough stay-or-go...
- David Stockton, son of John, saves the day...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 83
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 66
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 56
- BYU baseball: BYU beats Utah, 20-3 47
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 43
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28