The word from Libya this week is that Moammar Gadhafi's wife and three kids have gone to Algeria. He must hate it when he has to rattle around the spider's nest alone, ordering out pizza under assumed names.
Some people this week were speculating that Hurricane Irene actually was good for the economy because a lot of people will have to be employed to clean up the mess. Using that reasoning, we ought to do away with building codes. Imagine how profitable that would make disasters.
Jimmy Carter had his brother Billy, best known for a brand of beer no one drank. Bill Clinton had his half-brother Roger, an actor and musician. He ended up issuing a presidential pardon for Roger's cocaine conviction. Now comes Onyango Obama, Barack Obama's drunk driving, illegal alien uncle. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner.
No one knows whether Obama had his uncle in mind when his administration issued a statement that the government will, from now on, go after only the worst offending illegal aliens. We do know, however, that Obama isn't the first president to wish he didn't have certain family members.
He may, however, be the first to have to deport one of them.
Utah Rep. Jim Matheson said this week he is certain the GOP is targeting him in the way it is redrawing the state's congressional districts. In other shocking news, the sun rose in the East today.
State Rep. Carl Wimmer said this week that Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, has endorsed him to represent the state's new fourth congressional district. That's curious, considering the Legislature has yet to draw the boundaries of that district. Does someone know something they aren't telling the rest of us?
So, a Republican debate on Sept. 7 has forced President Obama to move his speech to Congress and the nation on job creation to Sept. 8, which happens to conflict with the opening game of the NFL season? Here's an idea: Give the speech at halftime on a raised platform at the 50-yard line.
Get a bunch of funky-clad dancers to choreograph a routine during the speech, spelling out j-o-b-s in the grand finale.
Just make sure Janet Jackson isn't among the dancers. High television ratings don't necessarily translate into voter approval.
- Jay Evensen: Birthright citizenship —...
- In our opinion: EPA failed its protection...
- In our opinion: Trump's all-inclusive...
- Dan Liljenquist: Charter schools provide...
- Letter: Stimulate the economy
- My view: European view of American soft power
- A. Scott Anderson: SBA — a critical...
- Letter: Appalling attitude
- In our opinion: Trump's all-inclusive... 58
- In our opinion: Security with Clinton's... 45
- Richard Davis: What can Republicans do... 43
- Jay Evensen: Birthright citizenship... 42
- My view: Don’t expand Medicaid... 36
- My view: No matter who pays the bill,... 35
- Letter: Earning his votes 31
- Letter: Stimulate the economy 26