LDS songwriter Janice Kapp Perry to speak at Church History Museum on Sept. 16
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY – Latter-day Saint songwriter Janice Kapp Perry will present a lecture "The Power of a Simple Song" in the Church History Museum auditorium on Friday, Sept. 16, at 7 p.m. The lecture is free and open to the public, but seating is limited and reservations are recommended.
Perry is a well-known Mormon songwriter who has written church music for many occasions and about a variety of subjects. She received her musical training at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, and has been writing and recording gospel music for more than 30 years. She composed the hymn "As Sisters in Zion" for the hymnbook of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and has 10 songs in the Children's Songbook including "I'm Trying to Be like Jesus," "A Child's Prayer," "I Love to See the Temple" and "Love Is Spoken Here."
Perry has produced more than 50 albums of original music, numerous sacred cantatas and several full-length musicals. Her music is known world-wide throughout the church. She has also traveled extensively speaking at firesides and women's conferences around the United States. Her music has been performed by artists such as Gladys Knight, Brooks & Dunn, and The Osmonds — Second Generation. She has recently written and published three volumes of new sacred hymns with a variety of hymn text writers, as well as a book telling the stories behind her songs. In the year 2000, she retired from singing with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and since then has served a full-time mission to Chile with her husband and continued her prolific songwriting career.
For seating reservations call 801-240-9573 weekdays between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. The Church History Museum is at 45 North West Temple Street in Salt Lake City and is open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. and weekends from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Utah family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart
- LDS Church publishes two new essays on past...
- LDS Church releases video about suicide...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- LDS pitcher Matthew Neil asked for a trial...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- Wright Words: A day in the life of Mormon...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 111
- LDS Church publishes two new essays on... 40
- LDS Church releases video, topic page... 34
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin... 14
- Here's how you can learn more about God 13
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign... 10