Veteran newsman Tom Brokaw will join the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the Orchestra at Temple Square for a "Music and the Spoken Word" special that will be broadcast on Sunday, Sept. 11.
The special, "9/11: Rising Above," will commemorate the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the United States.
"The message of this show is that — as individuals and as a nation — we can find healing and strength in adversity and literally rise above all the negatives," choir director Mack Wilberg said.
The special will be broadcast on approximately 750 stations and networks in the United States and Canada. A large number of these (including many NBC network affiliates) will be carrying "Music and the Spoken Word" for the first time. Air times and station information can be found at www.musicandthespokenword.org, or by checking local listings.
It should be noted that the special has been pre-recorded, so the live broadcast in the Tabernacle on Sunday, Sept. 11 will be a different program. Temple Square visitors wishing to see "9/11: Rising Above" that Sunday will be able to view it in the North Visitors Center Theatre at 9:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.
The regular, weekly "Music and the Spoken Word" has aired for 82 years, and is broadcast on 2,000 radio, television and Internet and cable networks across the world. The weekly broadcast performance of the program is free and does not require a ticket.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 161
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 83
- Police release names of officers... 37
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 34
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17