Shawn Emery, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — The wife of a University of Utah football player was killed in a car accident Thursday, about an hour after the game against Montana State.
Janelle Tongaonevai, 25, was killed when a Jeep heading west at about 10:30 p.m. hit her car in the intersection of 4800 West and 3100 South, according to police. The driver of the Jeep, 39-year-old Robert Davis, was also killed.
An unidentified female juvenile, who was a passenger in Tongaonevai's vehicle, was also seriously injured in the accident and was flown to a hospital and remains in serious condition. Two others in a third vehicle were injured and treated at the scene.
Tongaonevai married Ron Tongaonevai, a junior defensive lineman from West Valley City, last summer.
"Our hearts go out to Ron and families and friends on both sides of the marriage for the tragic loss of his wife Janelle," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said in a released statement. "This is a devastating loss for everyone involved in our program. Our players and staff are grieving for Ron and our top priority is to give him our support."
Davis apparently ran the red light at the intersection and hit the driver's side of Tongaonevai's vehicle, killing her immediately, according to a statement from West Valley City Police Sgt. Mike Powell. Davis was thrown from his vehicle and it rolled on top of him.
Police are still working on a toxicology report for the driver of the Jeep; however, because Davis died, Powell said no criminal charges will be filed.
The Utes did hold regularly scheduled meetings and film sessions Friday, although Whittingham acknowledged it wasn't easy.
"All of our thoughts and prayers are with Ron," he added. "And it's very difficult to concentrate on anything else."
Tongaonevai graduated from Hunter High School and continued his playing career at Snow College. He transferred to Utah last season and lettered, appearing in five games. He did not play in Thursday's season opener.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 91
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 76
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 50
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 36