The Gibson Guitar Corp. also recently came under fire from regulators for the second time since 2009. The Gibson factories were raided in August by federal agents, who say the company has been buying illegally harvested hardwoods from protected forests, The Wall Street Journal reports. Other companies that use the same wood from the same countries have not been raided.
During an interview with KMJ-AM, Chairman and CEO of Gibson Henry Juszkiewicz said the government wrote in a pleading that Gibson wouldnt be in trouble if they used Madagascar labor instead of American labor.
Solyndra, a solar company that was awarded a federal loan worth $535 million and was touted by the president in a 2010 visit, recently filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, citing regulatory and policy uncertainties in recent months that have created significant near-term excess supply and price erosion.
In Congress, Eric Cantor, the House majority leader, released details of the regulatory relief agenda House Republicans plan to pursue following their return to Washington.
The list includes tackling the National Labor Relations Board complaint against Boeing for opening a plant in South Carolina, the administrations new maximum achievable control technology standards and cross-state air pollution rule for utility plants, the cement MACT rule, the NLRBs recent alterations to union representation rules and the EPAs farm dust rule.
During the presidents bus tour through the Midwest, Obama was questioned about the farm dust rule specifically, and he responded that people shouldnt believe everything they hear about regulations in Washington.
Obama also told attendees at town halls to contact the U.S. Department of Agriculture directly to get information on pending regulations. Politico reporter MJ Lee took his advice and was unable to find the answer to the farmers question.
In a letter to Lisa Jackson of the EPA, 21 Senators voice their concerns about the farm dust ruling specifically, saying the current standards have been difficult if not impossible to attain.
We respect efforts for a clean and healthy environment, the letter states, but not at the expense of common sense.
- 5 things to know about the Super Bowl and sex...
- US adds just 151k jobs in January; 4.9...
- Manhattan crane topples into street killing...
- Once a bromance, now a brawl: Trump and Cruz...
- This week in history: John C. Frémont is...
- Va. Tech murder suspects left few clues to...
- Florida readies for a fight with Zika virus
- Brazil health official confirm Zika spread...
- US adds just 151k jobs in January; 4.9... 27
- Cruz tops Trump in Iowa; Clinton,... 22
- Obama pushes for every child to learn... 21
- Cruz, Rubio eye NH momentum as Dems... 15
- Donald Trump calls for Iowa election... 14
- Americans are packing classes in how to... 12
- Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul quits 2016 GOP... 12
- Once a bromance, now a brawl: Trump and... 10