Concert safety: From language to dress to mosh pits, parents have a little homework to do
Rick Wall, a Salt Lake City Police detective who has been in law enforcement for 15 years and has worked in conjunction with various security services for large crowd events, believes that for the most part, "people go to those shows to have a good time and enjoy the show."
"We typically don't have big melees," he said. "The last thing they want to do is have problems."
Here are 10 tips for parents from our venue experts and concertgoers:
1. Avoid general audience/standing floor tickets if you wish your teen to stay clear of mosh pits, crowd surfing or any pushing and shoving that can occur.
2. Make sure your teen has at least one concert buddy to stick with in the crowd.
3. Make sure your teen is hydrated the night before or takes water to the concert.
4. Make sure your teen is appropriately dressed and has ear plugs if desired.
5. Collect valuables. Don't let your son or daughter join the concert crowds with your nice digital camera.
6. Research the band. Use YouTube and websites or talk to friends who have been to concerts.
7. Research the venue — its security, any past incidents, options it has for parents and the kinds of bands it usually plays host to.
8. Know where and when you can pick up your children or when they'll be home.
9. Communicate. Lay down your own rules for behavior, drinking and drugs.
10. Buy a ticket. If you are just too worried about your teens and what might happen at the concert, go with them.
Here is a list of 20 small to medium concert venues across the state. Parents should also note that universities, colleges and even high schools let their event centers and stages double as venues.
The Depot, Salt Lake City
Kilby Court, Salt Lake City
In the Venue, Salt Lake City
The Gallivan Center, Salt Lake City
Sandy Amphitheatre, Sandy
Harry O’s, Park City
Kingsbury Hall, Salt Lake City
Deer Valley Resort, Park City
Utah State Fair Park (host of Vans Warped Tour), Salt Lake City
Logan Arthouse and Cinema, Logan
Why Sound, Logan
Red Butte Garden, Salt Lake City
Muse Music Cafe, Provo
Urban Lounge, Salt Lake City
Avalon Theater, Salt Lake City
The Electric Theater, St. George
GoGo37, St. George
Snowbasin Resort, Ogden
Saltair, Salt Lake City
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org, Contributing: Trent Toone, Rhett Wilkinson
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- 'Gotham' actor's Penguin inspired by DC Comics
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video sentenced
- Suspenseful 'Maze Runner' dodges limitations...
- Ballet to Broadway: Two Utah-native siblings...
- Paintbrushes, fairy tales and chore charts:...
- Summer movie season wasn't so bad for 'the...
- The latest ‘Godzilla’ reboot...
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 6
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- Millennials read more books than their... 3
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 3
- The complicated relationship between... 3
- Vikings reinstate Peterson despite... 2
- Two big reasons to buy comic books for... 2
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream... 2