Concert safety: From language to dress to mosh pits, parents have a little homework to do
Rick Wall, a Salt Lake City Police detective who has been in law enforcement for 15 years and has worked in conjunction with various security services for large crowd events, believes that for the most part, "people go to those shows to have a good time and enjoy the show."
"We typically don't have big melees," he said. "The last thing they want to do is have problems."
Here are 10 tips for parents from our venue experts and concertgoers:
1. Avoid general audience/standing floor tickets if you wish your teen to stay clear of mosh pits, crowd surfing or any pushing and shoving that can occur.
2. Make sure your teen has at least one concert buddy to stick with in the crowd.
3. Make sure your teen is hydrated the night before or takes water to the concert.
4. Make sure your teen is appropriately dressed and has ear plugs if desired.
5. Collect valuables. Don't let your son or daughter join the concert crowds with your nice digital camera.
6. Research the band. Use YouTube and websites or talk to friends who have been to concerts.
7. Research the venue — its security, any past incidents, options it has for parents and the kinds of bands it usually plays host to.
8. Know where and when you can pick up your children or when they'll be home.
9. Communicate. Lay down your own rules for behavior, drinking and drugs.
10. Buy a ticket. If you are just too worried about your teens and what might happen at the concert, go with them.
Here is a list of 20 small to medium concert venues across the state. Parents should also note that universities, colleges and even high schools let their event centers and stages double as venues.
The Depot, Salt Lake City
Kilby Court, Salt Lake City
In the Venue, Salt Lake City
The Gallivan Center, Salt Lake City
Sandy Amphitheatre, Sandy
Harry O’s, Park City
Kingsbury Hall, Salt Lake City
Deer Valley Resort, Park City
Utah State Fair Park (host of Vans Warped Tour), Salt Lake City
Logan Arthouse and Cinema, Logan
Why Sound, Logan
Red Butte Garden, Salt Lake City
Muse Music Cafe, Provo
Urban Lounge, Salt Lake City
Avalon Theater, Salt Lake City
The Electric Theater, St. George
GoGo37, St. George
Snowbasin Resort, Ogden
Saltair, Salt Lake City
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org, Contributing: Trent Toone, Rhett Wilkinson
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is...
- 10 books that you were forced to read in...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could help...
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately at...
- Amish country bristles at... 10
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 6
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- Is 'Harry Potter' actually about mental... 2
- EA Sports puts Damian Lillard on the... 2
- Miley Cyrus about VMA success: 'I'm in... 1