Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah opened up a new era as a Pac-12 program with a sigh of relief and a 2011 season-opening victory.
Running back John White looked sharp in new Ute offensive coordinator Norm Chow's offense, rushing for 150 yards and scoring two touchdowns in Utah's 27-10 victory over FCS opponent Montana State.
Junior quarterback Jordan Wynn, who had offseason shoulder surgery, began the year with a quiet outing that included 103 yards on 15-for-23 and two touchdown tosses.
Sophomore linebacker Brian Blechen started the season strong for the Utes' defense, picking off two Montana State passes.
MSU spoiled Utah's shutout bid late in the second quarter with a 7-yard touchdown toss from Denarius McGhee to a wide-open Tanner Bleskin.
But it was all Utah before that scoring strike with 35 seconds left in the opening half.
After a three-and-out first possession, the Utes rolled to take a 24-0 lead over the outmatched Bobcats.
Wynn had two first-quarter touchdown passes, including a 7-yarder to DeVonte Christopher and a 5-yard toss to White.
White also had a 10-yard run to paydirt and rushed for 53 yards in that opening half.
The first half also included a couple of highlights by the defense and special teams.
Blechen stung Montana State's offense by returning an interception to the 8-yard line, setting up the Utes' first score.
Matt Martinez later blocked a punt deep in Bobcat territory, a standout play that resulted in a 37-yard field goal by Coleman Petersen.
The Utes' offense had a quiet second half, with its only points coming in the third quarter on a 44-yard field goal by Petersen.
The Bobcats added a fourth quarter field goal and then had a solid possession stopped deep in Utah territory by Blechen's second pick midway through the fourth quarter.
Read Mike Sorensen's live game blog here.
Read Dirk Facer's game preview here.
Follow Deseret News reporter Jody Genessy's tweets from Rice-Eccles Stadium on our @DesNewsSports Twitter account.
Montana State at Utah
Thursday, 6 p.m.
Radio: 700 AM
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45