Utah Utes football notebook: Jordan Wynn growing hair to honor grandma
SALT LAKE CITY — You might notice a little bit of hair extending from quarterback Jordan Wynn's helmet Thursday night, or at least notice his long locks when he's on the sideline.
Wynn hasn't had a haircut in three months. But he isn't trying to take after teammate Chaz Walker, who is known for the shiny black hair he hasn't cut in years.
Rather, Wynn is growing his hair to honor his late grandmother, who died of cancer earlier this year.
A public non-profit organization called "Locks of Love" accepts hair from donors that is used to provide hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis.
"My grandma passed away in May, so it brought a new-found awareness to cancer and I'd like to help out anybody with that as much as I can," Wynn said. "It's a nasty disease, so if I can donate my hair to make someone happy who's lost theirs then I'm going to do it."
Wynn said the hair needed to be seven inches long to donate, although the Locks of Love website said ponytails must be 10 inches to make a hairpiece. It also says that it accepts most donated hair of any length.
"However long it takes," Wynn says. "It could be throughout the whole year."
As for the wispy bits of hair on his upper lip and chin he was showing earlier this week, Wynn said he's not growing a beard.
"I just haven't shaved in a few days," he said.
LONG HISTORY: Most people may not realize Utah and Montana State used to be in the same conference. From 1917 to 1937, the Utes and Bobcats competed in the Rocky Mountain Faculty Athletic Conference.
However, during that time they only played each other four times, three times in Salt Lake where Utah won 66-0, 61-0 and 47-0 and once in Bozeman, where Utah won 19-7.
The Utes won all five of the other matches between the two schools, with the most recent game coming in 1982 with Utah winning 30-12.
The total score of the nine games is 455-25 for Utah, that's an average score of 50-3.
EXTRA POINTS: Who will be kicking the extra points and field goals for Utah will be revealed Thursday night. Scholarship player Nick Marsh and walk-on Coleman Peterson have battled throughout camp with neither one having a clear edge. Marsh should handle kickoffs, like he did last year, however. … This is Montana State's first Thursday night game since 2001. Utah opened on Thursday night against Pitt, a year ago. … Montana State will visit the Beehive State again in November when it comes here for a Big Sky game against Weber State on Nov. 5. … There are 14 games Thursday involving major college (FBS) schools and eight of them are against FCS schools.
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors continues to make...
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- Gordon Hayward looks to get better at...
- BYU offense looking to move the ball, put up...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Jaycob Brugman's...
- Dick Harmon: Only joy for BYU's Jordan...
- Amy Donaldson: South Summit High community...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Kyle Whittingham just glad...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 96
- Ultimate football road trips:... 48
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 39
- Morning links: ESPN calls Utah a dark... 34
- BYU's basketball roster undergoing... 29
- BYU offense looking to move the ball,... 22
- Little offense as main players sit out... 20