PROVO — After fielding requests from reporters about speculation that BYU could be a possible replacement for Texas A&M in the Big 12, the school issued a statement this afternoon.
"There is much speculation right now regarding conference affiliation that seems to change by the hour. Commenting on such conjecture is not productive and creates a distraction for our program. As we enter the 2011-12 athletic season, BYU is focused on the opportunities ahead. We are excited about our relationship with ESPN as a football independent and our affiliation with the West Coast Conference. The university will have no further comment."
Earlier in the day, Texas A&M announced that it has informed the Big 12 that it is leaving the conference.
BYU has been mentioned frequently as a candidate that could replace the Aggies in the Big 12.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 82
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain... 24