Julie Jacobson, Associated Press
LAS VEGAS — Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says construction on the world's first hybrid geothermal and solar power plant is starting in northern Nevada.
Reid said Tuesday that Enel Green Power North America's geothermal plant in Churchill County is adding a solar project.
The announcement came minutes before the start of the fourth-annual National Clean Energy Summit in Las Vegas.
Politicians and green technology leaders are attending the meeting to discuss energy security and independence.
Those scheduled to appear include Vice President Joe Biden, U.S. Secretary of Energy Steven Chu, Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval and California Gov. Jerry Brown.
Chu said in his opening remarks that oil prices will increase while green energy will become cheaper in the future.
He also says science education is a top priority.
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias...
- Witnesses at Utah trial: No security-camera...
- Ginsburg: High court won't 'duck' gay marriage
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit against Obama
- Social Entreprenuers: Startups set to change...
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels, with or...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 52
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 46
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 36
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias... 28
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 27
- House leaders abandon border bill 18
- GOP-led House approves lawsuit against... 14
- Democrats have million-dollar day on... 13