Julie Jacobson, Associated Press
LAS VEGAS — Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says construction on the world's first hybrid geothermal and solar power plant is starting in northern Nevada.
Reid said Tuesday that Enel Green Power North America's geothermal plant in Churchill County is adding a solar project.
The announcement came minutes before the start of the fourth-annual National Clean Energy Summit in Las Vegas.
Politicians and green technology leaders are attending the meeting to discuss energy security and independence.
Those scheduled to appear include Vice President Joe Biden, U.S. Secretary of Energy Steven Chu, Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval and California Gov. Jerry Brown.
Chu said in his opening remarks that oil prices will increase while green energy will become cheaper in the future.
He also says science education is a top priority.
- 'I am Adam Lanza's Mother' author Liza Long...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are they...
- Racing wildfire engulfs homes in California town
- Scholarship lotteries, popular with everyone,...
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at opponents
- Top 15 states for education
- Feds chase treasure hunter turned fugitive
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 66
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Obama 'confident' of Islamic State... 19
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 13
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 10
- Can Obama wage war without consent of... 5
- Rare snowstorm slams Rockies states,... 5