Julie Jacobson, Associated Press
LAS VEGAS — Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says construction on the world's first hybrid geothermal and solar power plant is starting in northern Nevada.
Reid said Tuesday that Enel Green Power North America's geothermal plant in Churchill County is adding a solar project.
The announcement came minutes before the start of the fourth-annual National Clean Energy Summit in Las Vegas.
Politicians and green technology leaders are attending the meeting to discuss energy security and independence.
Those scheduled to appear include Vice President Joe Biden, U.S. Secretary of Energy Steven Chu, Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval and California Gov. Jerry Brown.
Chu said in his opening remarks that oil prices will increase while green energy will become cheaper in the future.
He also says science education is a top priority.
- NORAD 'tracks' Santa from Australia to S....
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near Ferguson
- Women excised from public life, abused by IS
- Key developments in the case of slain NYPD...
- Severe storms slam the South, killing at least 4
- Wal-Mart tests gift card exchange
- Sony broadly releases 'The Interview' in...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 17
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by... 15
- Going it alone, Obama rocked the boat... 13
- Key developments in the case of slain... 9
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican... 8
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near... 7
- Killings of 2 New York officers trigger... 6
- Senate, CIA agree torture program was... 6