Julie Jacobson, Associated Press
LAS VEGAS — Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says construction on the world's first hybrid geothermal and solar power plant is starting in northern Nevada.
Reid said Tuesday that Enel Green Power North America's geothermal plant in Churchill County is adding a solar project.
The announcement came minutes before the start of the fourth-annual National Clean Energy Summit in Las Vegas.
Politicians and green technology leaders are attending the meeting to discuss energy security and independence.
Those scheduled to appear include Vice President Joe Biden, U.S. Secretary of Energy Steven Chu, Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval and California Gov. Jerry Brown.
Chu said in his opening remarks that oil prices will increase while green energy will become cheaper in the future.
He also says science education is a top priority.
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal, 'has...
- The top 10 highest-paid female CEOs
- Feds release sage grouse conservation plans...
- South Africa shaken by FIFA corruption probe
- Neverland, former home of Michael Jackson, on...
- Latest on flooding: Body of missing Texas...
- Photo gallery: Aerial views of floodwaters in...
- Study says girls seek sisterhood in the...
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal,... 36
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 14
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode... 13
- US to 'fine tune' Iraq strategy in... 12
- Family stress and poverty affect... 12
- Administration asks skeptical judge to... 9
- Census: Number of Americans on public... 9
- Obama urges Senate to renew... 7