Julie Jacobson, Associated Press
LAS VEGAS — Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says construction on the world's first hybrid geothermal and solar power plant is starting in northern Nevada.
Reid said Tuesday that Enel Green Power North America's geothermal plant in Churchill County is adding a solar project.
The announcement came minutes before the start of the fourth-annual National Clean Energy Summit in Las Vegas.
Politicians and green technology leaders are attending the meeting to discuss energy security and independence.
Those scheduled to appear include Vice President Joe Biden, U.S. Secretary of Energy Steven Chu, Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval and California Gov. Jerry Brown.
Chu said in his opening remarks that oil prices will increase while green energy will become cheaper in the future.
He also says science education is a top priority.
- Tad Walch: The LDS Church's call for balance...
- Former GOP nominee Romney will not run for...
- List: 10 Super Bowl ads you'll be talking about
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay marriage...
- Cumberbatch, Fry, others urge UK to pardon...
- Romney's exit unleashes race for donors among...
- First lady defends 'American Sniper' at...
- US support for satirizing religion breaks...
- Former GOP nominee Romney will not run... 76
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay... 56
- Mitt Romney courts middle class, jabs... 40
- Tad Walch: The LDS Church's call for... 28
- Victim of sexual abuse sues Boy Scouts... 21
- Attorney General nominee picks up... 14
- Denver police shoot, kill teen who... 13
- House GOP moves toward possible lawsuit... 11