ELKO, Nev. — The Tea Party Express headed east with its cross-country tour Sunday holding a midday rally in the heart of Nevada that featured about a dozen speakers and musicians focused on "reclaiming America" in the 2012 election.
Headlining the event was Sharron Angle, who lost to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., in 2010. Angle is traveling with the bus tour and is expected to speak at most of the events along the way.
The Elko Daily Free Press reported that Angle told the crowd of about 75 people — organizers pegged the crowd at closer to 100 people — the Republicans will take control of the U.S. Senate after the 2012 elections if people get involved in races around the country.
"We have a voice," she said. "We need to use that voice."
Tea Party Express communications director Levi Russell said the event was a success, especially considered that it was held on a Sunday.
"It was a small crowd, but enthusiastic," he said. "We're happy that they came out to hear our message."
Other speakers included Amy Kremer, Tea Party Express co-chair, and Tabitha Hale of the Washington, D.C.-based conservative group FreedomWorks.
One more event was scheduled for the Tea Party Express Sunday in Draper, Utah, although Russell said it will be less of a political rally than other stops.
Instead, constitutional scholar Mike Holler will discuss the freedom of religion. Other scheduled speakers are Utah Republican Gov. Gary Herbert, Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, and Angle.
"Since it's a Sunday, a lot of our people are sensitive about getting too political," Russell said. "We're going to do more of a fireside than a rally."
The "Reclaiming America" bus tour is set to visit 29 cities, with multiple stops in the early primary states of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina. It will reach Tampa, Fla., in time for a presidential debate co-sponsored with CNN on Sept. 12.
The bus tour began Saturday with gatherings in Napa, Calif. and Reno, Nev.
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- 31 things you might not know about the Harry...
- The one thing you may be giving your children...
- Alleged sexual abuser on the run for 17 years...
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Beijing selected to host 2022 Winter Olympics
- Sex and violence harm rather than help...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 107
- Religious groups react to Boy... 78
- Boy Scout board approves end to blanket... 71
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 31
- Oklahoma Supreme Court: Ten... 27
- 2016 Republicans use Trump, TV to make... 26
- Obama: Republican criticism of Iran... 25
- Covered California: Cost of health care... 17