Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
After sitting out 2010 with a knee injury, running back Robert Turbin is back on the field and ready to carry the load Utah State into the 2011 season. He chatted with the Deseret News' Kraig Williams about his life on and off the field in Logan this week.
Q: What's a regular workout for you?
A: I'll get to the weight room early. Try to get warmed up and get loose and do whatever is the required lift for the day. After that I try and do some extra grip work for my forearms. I try and do some extra calves work for speed and quickness on the field. After that I do a little extra stretching.
Q: Why did you choose to wear number 6?
A: When I was young I choose number 33 because I couldn't think of any NFL Hall of Famers who wore 33. Obviously there are guys like Tony Dorsett that wore it, but when I was 10 I didn't know who they were, so I choose it to be the first guy to go into the hall of fame with it. When I was a junior in high school the seniors picked numbers first and somebody took 33, so I took 6 because it was 3 and 3 added together.
Q: What is your favorite part of living in Logan and attending Utah State?
A: I like interacting with the students, the fans, the Hurd and just people around town. A lot of times I think people are intimidated if they see us at Walmart so they don't say anything, but when they do it's a great feeling. It's nice to have that around town.
Q: Who is your biggest fan?
A: I have two. My dad and my best friend since the sixth grade Steven Matthews. He knows more about me than anyone else in the world. I'm his biggest fan, and he's one of mine too.
Q: What is your favorite play to run?
A: Jumbo personnel. Shift to bunch right. Tiger H weak.
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director of...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big year...
- 2015 Utah high school football schedules...
- BYU's Jaylen Reyes provides invaluable...
- Scott Mitchell: Former U., NFL quarterback...
- BYU offense looking to move the ball, put up...
- Young players will have the chance to make an...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 87
- Ultimate football road trips:... 47
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 38
- Morning links: BYU close to a new... 34
- Morning links: ESPN calls Utah a dark... 34
- BYU edges Utah, 7-6, with eighth-inning... 32
- BYU's basketball roster undergoing... 29