Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
PROVO — Junior forward Brandon Davies has been readmitted to BYU and reinstated on the Cougar basketball team, university spokeswoman Carri Jenkins said Friday afternoon.
Davies, who was suspended last March for an honor code violation, withdrew from school last April. Since that time, he has been working with the school's dean of students as part of the process of re-enrolling and rejoining the Cougars. Fall semester classes at BYU start Monday.
"I'm excited to be back at BYU and look forward to the future. I'm grateful for this opportunity," Davies said in a statement.
It's great news for BYU, which enters the post-Jimmer Fredette era.
"Our staff and our players are pleased that Brandon has been readmitted for the fall semester," coach Dave Rose said in a statement. "We're excited to have him back on the team, and we look forward to a great season."
At the time of Davies' suspension, BYU was coming off a monumental victory at No. 6 San Diego State on national television. The Cougars climbed to No. 3 in the national rankings and were projected as a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.
On the eve of BYU's home game against New Mexico, the school announced Davies' suspension for the remainder of the season, which triggered national headlines. The shell-shocked Cougars fell to the Lobos, 82-64.
Davies, a Provo native, started 26 of 29 games for BYU last season, averaging 11.1 points, 6.2 rebounds in 24.9 minutes per game. He was named to the All-MWC third-team. During the Cougars' postseason run in the Mountain West Conference Tournament and the NCAA Tournament, Davies sat on the bench and watched the Cougars advance to the Sweet 16 for the first time in 30 years.
BYU fell in the MWC Tournament championship game to San Diego State but defeated Wofford and Gonzaga in the NCAA Tournament. In eight games without Davies, BYU posted a 5-3 record.
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Hodgson leaves job on humiliating night for...
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 65
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 24
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 22