Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
PROVO — Junior forward Brandon Davies has been readmitted to BYU and reinstated on the Cougar basketball team, university spokeswoman Carri Jenkins said Friday afternoon.
Davies, who was suspended last March for an honor code violation, withdrew from school last April. Since that time, he has been working with the school's dean of students as part of the process of re-enrolling and rejoining the Cougars. Fall semester classes at BYU start Monday.
"I'm excited to be back at BYU and look forward to the future. I'm grateful for this opportunity," Davies said in a statement.
It's great news for BYU, which enters the post-Jimmer Fredette era.
"Our staff and our players are pleased that Brandon has been readmitted for the fall semester," coach Dave Rose said in a statement. "We're excited to have him back on the team, and we look forward to a great season."
At the time of Davies' suspension, BYU was coming off a monumental victory at No. 6 San Diego State on national television. The Cougars climbed to No. 3 in the national rankings and were projected as a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.
On the eve of BYU's home game against New Mexico, the school announced Davies' suspension for the remainder of the season, which triggered national headlines. The shell-shocked Cougars fell to the Lobos, 82-64.
Davies, a Provo native, started 26 of 29 games for BYU last season, averaging 11.1 points, 6.2 rebounds in 24.9 minutes per game. He was named to the All-MWC third-team. During the Cougars' postseason run in the Mountain West Conference Tournament and the NCAA Tournament, Davies sat on the bench and watched the Cougars advance to the Sweet 16 for the first time in 30 years.
BYU fell in the MWC Tournament championship game to San Diego State but defeated Wofford and Gonzaga in the NCAA Tournament. In eight games without Davies, BYU posted a 5-3 record.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 25
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21